Contour integral of a complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct solution for the integral of c Re(z^2) dz, specifically when the path goes from 1+i to i. The solution provided shows the correct steps and explains that the issue was due to the opposite orientation of the path. The final answer is 1 + i.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I am stuck at the third point, that is from 1+i to i. I asked someone to show me his answer but that part of his is different from mine. Is his solution correct?
Here it is:

(i) z = 0 to 1 via z(t) = t with t in [0, 1]:
∫c1 Re(z^2) dz
= ∫(t = 0 to 1) Re(t^2) * 1 dt
= ∫(t = 0 to 1) t^2 dt
= 1/3.

(ii) z = 1 to 1+i via z(t) = 1+it with t in [0, 1]:
∫c2 Re(z^2) dz
= ∫(t = 0 to 1) Re((1 + it)^2) * (i dt)
= ∫(t = 0 to 1) (1 - t^2) * i dt
= i(t - t^3/3) {for t = 0 to 1}
= 2i/3.

(iii) z = 1+i to i via z(t) = t+i with t in [0, 1] and opposite orientation:
∫c3 Re(z^2) dz
= -∫(t = 0 to 1) Re((t+i)^2) * 1 dt
= -∫(t = 0 to 1) (t^2 - 1) dt
= -(t^3/3 - t) {for t = 0 to 1}
= 2/3.

(iv) z = i to 0 via z(t) = it with t in [0, 1] and opposite orientation:
∫c4 Re(z^2) dz
= -∫(t = 0 to 1) Re((it)^2) * i dt
= -∫(t = 0 to 1) -it^2 dt
= i/3.

So, ∫c Re(z^2) dz = 1/3 + 2i/3 + 2/3 + i/3 = 1 + i.

Attachments

• b-1.jpg
    b-1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Aha, now I get it! It has an opposite orientation. I got it!

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis to evaluate the integral of a complex-valued function along a given curve or contour in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a real interval, it integrates over a curve or path in the complex plane.

2. How is a contour integral calculated?

A contour integral is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, the Cauchy integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve breaking down the contour into small segments, evaluating the integral over each segment, and then summing the results to obtain the final value.

3. What is the significance of the contour integral in complex analysis?

The contour integral is an important tool in complex analysis because it allows us to calculate the value of complex functions that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex functions and their singularities.

4. Can a contour integral have a complex number as its limit?

Yes, a contour integral can have a complex number as its limit. This is because the path of integration in the complex plane can be a curve that passes through complex numbers. In fact, many contour integrals have complex numbers as their limits, as they often involve evaluating complex functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating electric potential in electromagnetic theory, determining fluid flow in aerodynamics, and analyzing stress and strain in structural engineering. They also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and computer graphics.