HCP miller indices in Orthogonal coordinate system

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with converting orientation from a 4-index Bravais miller coordinate system to a 3-index orthogonal coordinate system for a crystal in a MD simulation. They have attempted to use a transformation matrix but have not been successful.
anurag
Hi everyone,
I am doing MD simulation for zirconium (hcp). I have to input some orientation for crystal in simulation. But i have orientation in 4-index bravais miller indices. and i have to convert (plane and direction) it from 4-index to 3-index orthogonal coordinate system. Please help me.
Thanks a lot

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help DrDu,
I have some plane in hcp ( in 4-index Bravais miller indices). I have to find out it's (plane's perpendicular direction) normal indices in orthogonal coordinate system.

Ok, I see. Maybe you can show us your attempt to calculate the vectors and we can help you where you got stuck.

As you know, miller Indices of normal of plane is same as plane indices in cubic system. So, I assumed the same for hcp system. I got transformation matrix to change from 4-index to 3-index orthogonal system. Matrix is given below:
For a plane with the indices (h k i l):
tr([u v w])=[1 0 0 0; 0 1/sqrt(3) -1/sqrt(3) 0; 0 0 0 (a/c)]*tr([h k i l])
For a direction with indices (p q r s):
tr([a b c])=[3/2 0 0 0; 0 sqrt(3)/2 -sqrt(3)/2 0; 0 0 0 (c/a)]*tr([p q r s])

If i have a plane with indices (4 -3 -1 9), then i am not getting the same indices for plane and normal in orthogonal-system. I think matrix is wrong.

1. What is the significance of HCP miller indices in an orthogonal coordinate system?

HCP miller indices in an orthogonal coordinate system are used to represent the crystal planes and directions in a hexagonal close-packed (HCP) crystal structure. This system is important because it allows for the precise description and characterization of the crystal structure, which is essential for understanding the physical and chemical properties of the material.

2. How are HCP miller indices determined in an orthogonal coordinate system?

HCP miller indices are determined by finding the intercepts of a plane or direction with the three orthogonal axes of the coordinate system. These intercepts are then converted into fractional values and enclosed in parentheses to represent the miller indices. For example, a plane intersecting the x-axis at 1 unit, the y-axis at 2 units, and the z-axis at 3 units would have a miller index of (1,2,3).

3. Can HCP miller indices be negative in an orthogonal coordinate system?

Yes, HCP miller indices can be negative in an orthogonal coordinate system. This occurs when a plane or direction intersects the negative region of an axis, resulting in a negative intercept value. Negative miller indices are denoted with a bar over the value (e.g. -2 is represented as -2).

4. How many unique sets of HCP miller indices are there in an orthogonal coordinate system?

There are three unique sets of HCP miller indices in an orthogonal coordinate system: {100}, {010}, and {001}. These represent the three principal crystal planes in an HCP structure and are used to describe the orientation of the crystal lattice.

5. Can HCP miller indices in an orthogonal coordinate system be converted to other crystal systems?

Yes, HCP miller indices in an orthogonal coordinate system can be converted to miller indices in other crystal systems, such as cubic or tetragonal. This conversion involves using a transformation matrix to relate the coordinates in the different systems. It is useful for comparing and understanding the crystal structures of different materials.