Standard form of linear program

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear programming problem involving finding the cheapest meal that meets certain nutritional requirements. The problem is reformulated into the standard form for linear programs, with the objective function represented by the vector ##c## and the constraints represented by the matrix ##A## and vector ##b##. The vector ##c## is equal to ##p##, the vector of prices, while the matrix ##A## is equal to ##-\begin{bmatrix} V \\ I_{m} \end{bmatrix}## and the vector ##b## is equal to ##-\begin{bmatrix} r \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

To preface, I believe this question is equally applicable to either the math or engineering homework forum, but I am having more trouble with the math part than the actual programming. I can't do any programming (with the understanding that linear programming doesn't necessarily imply coding) until I have the math down.In a first quiz you formulated a linear program with the goal of determining the cheapest meal consisting of four kinds of food that meets two nutritional requirements. We formulated this problem as shown below

##\underset{a \in \mathbb{R}^m} \min \hspace{0.05 in} p^Ta##

## \begin{align*} \text{subject to} \hspace{0.1in} &Va \geq r \\ &a \geq 0 \end{align*}##

where

##a## is a column vector of the amount of each food,
##p## is a column vector of the price if each food,
##V## is an array of the nutritional contents of each food, and
##r## is a column vector of the nutritional requirements.

Reformulate this problem into the standard for linear programs as shown below.

##\underset{c \in \mathbb{R}^m} \min \hspace{0.05 in} c^Tx##

##\begin{align*} \text{subject to} \hspace{0.05in} &Ax \leq b \end{align*}##

part 1
What will ##c## be in terms of ##p##, ##V##, and ##r##?

part 2
What will ##A## be in terms of ##p##, ##V##, and ##r##??

part 3
What will ##b## be in terms of ##p##, ##V##, and ##r##??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

part 1
well, it looks like just replace ##c## with ##p##, simple enough.

part 2
I am trying to parse this question. I know that if I use the identity matrix times any vector, it will return the vector. So to get in the standard form, I have

##\begin{bmatrix} -V \\ -I_{m} \end{bmatrix} a \leq \begin{bmatrix} -r \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##

Well, the options have the identiy matrix with either eye(4) or eye(2). I don't know what to choose as the dimensions of the identity matrix. It seems like you are putting a matrix inside a matrix by choosing an element of the matrix A to be a matrix itself, no?

Edit: I have discovered that the reason for the identity matrix is that it imposes even more constaints. When I set the second element of b to be zeros(n,1) and eye(n), then That will force my elements ##x_{1}, x_{2},...,x_{n}## to have a constraint that their value is greater than or equal to zero. Clearly, since the application of this problem is related to food and optimizing the calories and protein while spending the least amount of money, the amount of any particular food will have to be greater than or equal to zero.

The only thing that now troubles me is the fact that nowhere does the column vector ##p## show up in the matrix equation of the form ##Ax \leq b##. How is it that I can minimize ##p## without using its affine function in my matrix? My best guess is that the matrix equation is only the constraints. ##p## is not a constraint, but is the ''object'' that we which to minimize. So how do I relate the two? Just writing ''subject to'' is not enough for me. Where is the relation between ##p## and the matrix equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
part 3##b## will be ##-r##, since we are setting the right hand side of the equation to be less than or equal to the vector ##r##.

1. What is the standard form of a linear program?

The standard form of a linear program is a mathematical representation of a linear optimization problem. It consists of a linear objective function to be maximized or minimized, subject to a set of linear constraints and non-negativity constraints on the decision variables.

2. What are the components of a linear program in standard form?

The components of a linear program in standard form include a set of decision variables, a linear objective function, a set of linear constraints, and non-negativity constraints on the decision variables.

3. How is the objective function represented in standard form?

The objective function in standard form is represented as a linear combination of decision variables with coefficients, where the goal is to either maximize or minimize this function.

4. What are the constraints in a linear program in standard form?

The constraints in a linear program in standard form are linear equations or inequalities that restrict the values of the decision variables. These constraints can represent limitations on resources, production capacities, or other factors that affect the problem.

5. How can linear programs in standard form be solved?

Linear programs in standard form can be solved using various algorithms, such as the simplex method or interior point methods. These algorithms involve iteratively improving the solution until the optimal solution is reached, satisfying all the constraints and the objective function is optimized.