Macluarin series and radius of convergence

In summary, the question asks for the Maclaurin series expansion and radius of convergence for the function $$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$$. Using the fact that $$\frac{1}{1-z}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n$$, we can manipulate the given function to get $$\frac{1}{(1-z)^2}+\frac{1}{1-z}$$. By differentiating this term by term, we can obtain the power series for $$\frac{1}{(1-z)^2}$$ and ultimately the Maclaurin series for the original function. The radius of convergence can be found using the ratio test.
MissP.25_5
Hello.
I am stuck on this question. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me on how to do this.

The question:
Expand the following into maclaurin series and find its radius of convergence.

$$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$$

I know that we can use geometric series as geometric series is generally
$$\frac{1}{1-z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

So,
\begin{align*} \frac{2 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } &= \frac{1 + 1 - z }{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1}{1 - z} \end{align*}

$$\frac{d}{dz}\frac{1}{(1-z)}=\frac{1}{(1-z)^2}$$

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?
$$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

How do I finish this? The answer I was given is :

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)z^n$$

Physics news on Phys.org
You have started off very well. Yes, [itex]\frac{2- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1+ 1- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1}{(1- z)^2}+ \frac{1}{1- z}[/itex]. And [itex]\frac{1}{1- z}= \sum z^n[/itex], the "geometric series".

Now, note that [itex]d(1/u)/dx= -1/u^2[/itex]. So [itex]1/(1- z)^2= d/dx(1/(1- z))[/itex]. Differentiating the geometric sequence "term by term" gives a power series for [itex]1/(1- z)^2[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
You have started off very well. Yes, [itex]\frac{2- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1+ 1- z}{(1- z)^2}= \frac{1}{(1- z)^2}+ \frac{1}{1- z}[/itex]. And [itex]\frac{1}{1- z}= \sum z^n[/itex], the "geometric series".

Now, note that [itex]d(1/u)/dx= -1/u^2[/itex]. So [itex]1/(1- z)^2= d/dx(1/(1- z))[/itex]. Differentiating the geometric sequence "term by term" gives a power series for [itex]1/(1- z)^2[/itex]

I already did that in my solution. Look,

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?

MissP.25_5 said:
I already did that in my solution. Look,

You have your first sum starting with [itex]z^{0- 1}= z^{-1}[/itex]. Because it is multiplied by n= 0, it doesn't change the sum but I think it is causing confusion. Instead write it as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}[/itex] which is, as I said, exactly the same thing.

If you meant $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n$$
then you need to change the indexing on the first sum. Let j= n- 1 so that n= j+ 1. When n= 1 j= 0. The formula becomes [tex]\sum_{j= 0}^\infty (j+ 1)z^j+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n[/tex].
Now use the fact that "j" is just a "dummy index"- replace j with n in the first sum and combine.

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
You have your first sum starting with [itex]z^{0- 1}= z^{-1}[/itex]. Because it is multiplied by n= 0, it doesn't change the sum but I think it is causing confusion. Instead write it as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}[/itex] which is, as I said, exactly the same thing.

If you meant $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty nz^{n-1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n$$
then you need to change the indexing on the first sum. Let j= n- 1 so that n= j+ 1. When n= 1 j= 0. The formula becomes [tex]\sum_{j= 0}^\infty (j+ 1)z^j+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty z^n[/tex].
Now use the fact that "j" is just a "dummy index"- replace j with n in the first sum and combine.

I don't get it, how can I just replace j with n, when j=n-1? But if I do that, then I'll go back to square one.

MissP.25_5 said:
I don't get it, how can I just replace j with n, when j=n-1? But if I do that, then I'll go back to square one.

You have ##S_1 + S_2##, where
[tex] S_1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n z^{n-1} \; \text{ and } \; S_2 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^n [/tex]
In ##S_1## the power of ##z## ranges from ##n-1 = 0## to ##\infty##, so if we call that power ##j## (instead of ##n-1##) the general term is ##(j+1) z^j##, for ##j = 0,1,2, \ldots##. Now you can re-name ##j## freely, because you really have something of the form
[tex] (\text{index-name}+1)\, z^{\text{index-name}}[/tex]
and we are currently using ##\text{index-name} = j## because that is a lot easier to write. However, "index-name" can be anything we want, so we can easily call it ##n## if we want.

If you remain unconvinced, just use the alternative of re-naming the summation index from ##n## to ##j## in the second sum ##S_2## to get
[tex] \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} (j+1) z^j + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} z^j . [/tex]
Do you see it now?

Ray Vickson said:
You have ##S_1 + S_2##, where
[tex] S_1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n z^{n-1} \; \text{ and } \; S_2 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^n [/tex]
In ##S_1## the power of ##z## ranges from ##n-1 = 0## to ##\infty##, so if we call that power ##j## (instead of ##n-1##) the general term is ##(j+1) z^j##, for ##j = 0,1,2, \ldots##. Now you can re-name ##j## freely, because you really have something of the form
[tex] (\text{index-name}+1)\, z^{\text{index-name}}[/tex]
and we are currently using ##\text{index-name} = j## because that is a lot easier to write. However, "index-name" can be anything we want, so we can easily call it ##n## if we want.

If you remain unconvinced, just use the alternative of re-naming the summation index from ##n## to ##j## in the second sum ##S_2## to get
[tex] \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} (j+1) z^j + \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} z^j . [/tex]
Do you see it now?

Yes, thank you!

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a polynomial of increasing order. It is centered at x=0 and is a special case of the Taylor series.

2. How is a Maclaurin series calculated?

To calculate a Maclaurin series, we use the formula: f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x^2/2! + f'''(0)x^3/3! + ... + f^(n)(0)x^n/n!
This formula is derived from the Taylor series formula, with the center of expansion being at x=0.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a Maclaurin series?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series (x=0) to the nearest point where the series converges. It is typically denoted as R and can be calculated using the ratio test. For a Maclaurin series, the radius of convergence is equal to the distance from the center to the nearest singularity (point of discontinuity) of the function.

4. How do you determine the convergence or divergence of a Maclaurin series?

To determine the convergence or divergence of a Maclaurin series, we can use the ratio test. The ratio test states that if the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms in the series is less than 1, then the series converges. If the ratio is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the ratio is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test, such as the root test, must be used.

5. Can a Maclaurin series represent any function?

No, a Maclaurin series can only represent functions that are analytic (infinitely differentiable) at x=0. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at x=0 for the series to accurately represent it. Additionally, the series may not always converge at every point, so the function must also be continuous within the radius of convergence for the series to be a valid representation.