Finding the Radius of Convergence for a Series with a Real Coefficient

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given series is infinite when α is a positive real number. This is because the series is equivalent to a polynomial in z of degree α, which is defined for all values of z. The ratio test can still be used, but it will provide no useful information in this case.
MissP.25_5
Hello.

How do I find the radius of convergence for this problem?
##\alpha## is a real number that is not 0.

$$f(z)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)\frac{z^n}{n!}$$

I understand that we can use the ratio test to find R. And by using ratio test, I got R=1. But in the answer, it also says that if α is a positive real number, then this series terminates.
==> The radius of convergence is ∞.

I don't understand this part. I hope someone could explain it to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MissP.25_5 said:
Hello.

How do I find the radius of convergence for this problem?
$\alpha$ is a real number that is not 0.

$$f(z)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\alpha(\alpha-1)...(\alpha-n+1)\frac{z^n}{n!}$$

I understand that we can use the ratio test to find R. And by using ratio test, I got R=1. But in the answer, it also says that if α is a positive real number, then this series terminates.
==> The radius of convergence is ∞.

I don't understand this part. I hope someone could explain it to me.
Are you sure it didn't say "if α is a positive integer, then this series terminates" ?

SammyS said:
Are you sure it didn't say "if α is a positive integer, then this series terminates" ?

Aren't real number and integer the same thing? But yes, it is written real number. Perhaps the answer is wrong.

MissP.25_5 said:
Aren't real number and integer the same thing? But yes, it is written real number. Perhaps the answer is wrong.

No, a real number can be positive or negative, rational or irrational. The numbers ##\sqrt{2}, \pi##, etc. are all real but are not integers--in fact, they are not even rational.

Ray Vickson said:
No, a real number can be positive or negative, rational or irrational. The numbers ##\sqrt{2}, \pi##, etc. are all real but are not integers--in fact, they are not even rational.

So, if it is written integers, what would that mean for the radius?

If α is a positive integer, the ratio test doesn't apply because the series isn't infinite.

Consider the example α = 4. The coefficient of z^5 would be

4(4 - 1)(4 - 2)(4 - 3)(4 - 4)/5! = 0

Every coefficient after that would also be zero. So, does that mean the ratio test can only be used when α is a NEGATIVE INTEGER? What happens to the radius of convergence when alpha is a positive integer?

As you have found, the series converges for every positive integer α; it is then equivalent to a polynomial in z of degree α. Since polynomials are defined for every value of z, we may say that the radius of convergence is infinite in each of these cases, since there is no finite radius beyond which the value of a polynomial is undefined.
Note that each series in this case is still infinite: it merely contains an infinite list of additive zeroes after a particular term. We are not barred from using the ratio test: it simply does not have any applicable information to give us due to the fact that the ratio is undefined as n approaches infinity.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you determine the radius of convergence for a series with real coefficients?

The radius of convergence for a series with real coefficients can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the terms in the series and comparing it to a known value.

2. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence indicates the values of x for which the series will converge. It also determines the interval of convergence, which is the range of x values for which the series will converge.

3. Is the radius of convergence always a positive number?

Yes, the radius of convergence is always a positive number. This is because it represents the distance from the center of convergence, which is always a real number, to the nearest point at which the series will converge.

4. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite. This means that the series will converge for all real values of x, and the interval of convergence will be (-∞, +∞).

5. How does the radius of convergence change with different types of series?

The radius of convergence can vary for different types of series. For example, power series and Taylor series may have different radii of convergence. It also depends on the coefficients used in the series. In general, the larger the coefficients, the smaller the radius of convergence will be.