Laurent Series Part 2: Expanding 1/(z^2+1) at z=-i

In summary, start by writing the fraction as -1/(z+i)(2i-(z+i)) and expand the second fraction as a geometric series in z+i. This will give you a sum with only one ∑.
MissP.25_5
Hello.

I am stuck on this question.
Let {##z\in ℂ|0<|z+i|<2##}, expand ##\frac{1}{z^2+1}## where its center ##z=-i## into Laurent series.

This is how I start off:
$$\frac{1}{(z+i)(z-i)}$$

And then I don't know what to do next. I guess geometric series could be applied later but I don't know how to rewrite this function.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]z-\mathrm{i}=z+\mathrm{i}-2 \mathrm{i}[/itex]...

vanhees71 said:
[itex]z-\mathrm{i}=z+\mathrm{i}-2 \mathrm{i}[/itex]...

What is the advantage of writing it like that?

Write your fraction as [itex]-\frac{1}{z+ i}\frac{1}{2i- (z+ i)}[/itex] and expand the second fraction as a geometric series in z+i.

HallsofIvy said:
Write your fraction as [itex]-\frac{1}{z+ i}\frac{1}{2i- (z+ i)}[/itex] and expand the second fraction as a geometric series in z+i.

This is what I got. I hope this is correct, but I don't know how to summarize all the terms. I need to use only one ∑. How to do that?

Attachments

• IMG_6681.jpg
    IMG_6681.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 388
Is this ok?
$$\frac{1}{z+i}\times\frac{1}{(z+i)-2i}$$
$$=\frac{1}{z+i}\times[\frac{\frac{1}{(-2i)}}{\frac{-(z+i)}{2i}+1}]$$
$$=\frac{1}{z+i}\times[\frac{1}{(-2i)}\times\frac{1}{1-\frac{(2+i)}{2i}}]$$

$$=\frac{1}{z+i}\times\frac{1}{(-2i)}\times\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z+i}{2i}\right)^{\!{n}}$$

I don't know how to summarize all the terms. I need to use only one ∑. How to do that?

Just multiply the factor in the front into your sum, and you are done :-)).

Thank you! This is solved :)

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of the variable and negative powers of the variable.

2. How is the Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers.

3. Why is the Laurent series useful?

The Laurent series allows us to approximate complex functions in a specific region around a singularity, which can help us understand the behavior of the function in that region.

4. What is the process for expanding a function into a Laurent series?

The process involves finding the singularities of the function and determining the radius of convergence for each singularity. Then, we can use the geometric series or the binomial series to expand the function into a Laurent series.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to find the value of a function at a singularity?

No, a Laurent series cannot be used to find the value of a function at a singularity. It can only be used to approximate the behavior of the function in a region around the singularity.