Ping + measure circumference of earth

In summary: No, ping should not attempt to find the shortest possible route. Instead, ping should attempt to find the route with the least amount of latency.
ranger
Gold Member
I can remember reading somewhere that the ping command can be used to measure the circumference of the Earth or something similar. Does anyone know how to do this, or have a link to the article?

--thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I doubt it...

the "Ping" command is just a ICMP echo request, each device you ask for the echo will respond quicker or slower depending on cetain factors such as:

Speed of links between your device and end device
Router Ques between your device and end device
Router CPU use between your device and end device
End device CPU use

etc etc

So IMO there is no way one could concievably (using the internet) calculate the Cirumference of the earch using ICMP... Too many external factors would corrupt your data

I've googled for it, but nothing. Hey but I did read something (I guess).

ranger said:
I can remember reading somewhere that the ping command can be used to measure the circumference of the Earth or something similar. Does anyone know how to do this, or have a link to the article
--thanks
Methodology,
1. Buy two computers
2. Buy very long lan cables!
Connect the two PCs on lan with the wire going around the earth. (Make sure there are sufficient repeaters in between). Ping the second PC from the first PC and calculate the delay in response. Given that the speed ofelectrons through a lan cable is normally around (2/3)c. One can easily calculate an approximate figure for the circumference of the earth.

-- AI
P.S-> Note that the above methodology is still under development and my stupid sidekick is constantly suggesting , "why not just measure the length of the cable?". Pfft! who has heard of such a dumb idea of calculating circumference!

TenaliRaman said:
Methodology,
1. Buy two computers
2. Buy very long lan cables!
Connect the two PCs on lan with the wire going around the earth. (Make sure there are sufficient repeaters in between). Ping the second PC from the first PC and calculate the delay in response. Given that the speed ofelectrons through a lan cable is normally around (2/3)c. One can easily calculate an approximate figure for the circumference of the earth.

Insead of that, is it possible to bounce the connection around until it eventually reaches around the earth? Or just get the ip address of a comp halfway around the Earth and ping that . Then double the delay responce time.

I could ping the a website which is set up next door to me and it could bounce half way around the world before it got to the website and return a ping response.

ComputerGeek said:
I could ping the a website which is set up next door to me and it could bounce half way around the world before it got to the website and return a ping response.

When you ping computer, should it find the shortest possible route to the target computer?

1. How does ping help in measuring the circumference of the earth?

Ping is a tool used to measure the time it takes for a signal to travel from one point to another. By pinging the signal from one point on the earth's surface to another, we can calculate the distance between the two points. This distance, along with the time it takes for the signal to travel, can then be used to calculate the circumference of the earth.

2. What equipment is needed to use ping for measuring the circumference of the earth?

To use ping for measuring the circumference of the earth, you will need a device that can send and receive signals, such as a satellite or radio transmitter. You will also need a way to accurately measure the time it takes for the signal to travel, such as a stopwatch or a computer with precise timekeeping capabilities.

3. Can ping be used to measure the circumference of the earth from any location?

Yes, ping can be used to measure the circumference of the earth from any location on its surface. The only requirement is that you have a clear line of sight to the other point you are pinging to, as obstacles or interference can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

4. How accurate is using ping to measure the circumference of the earth?

The accuracy of using ping to measure the circumference of the earth depends on various factors such as the precision of the equipment and the atmospheric conditions. However, with modern technology, ping can be used to calculate the circumference of the earth with a high degree of accuracy.

5. Are there other methods for measuring the circumference of the earth?

Yes, there are other methods for measuring the circumference of the earth, such as using satellite imagery or triangulation. However, ping is a popular and reliable method that has been used for centuries and continues to be used today in various scientific studies and experiments.