Calculating Vacuum Polarization Effect on Hydrogen Atom

In summary: I have tried to calculate the effect of a nucleus on the polarization charge but I get weird results. I think that the formula I am using is not correct.
Kruger
Can somebody give me a paper where the effect of vacuum polarization is calculated for a hydrogen atom? I mean where there is a real formula to calculate "immediately" the distribution of the positive vacuum charge and negative.

I didn't find something useable about this.

Thanks for everyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kruger said:
Can somebody give me a paper where the effect of vacuum polarization is calculated for a hydrogen atom? I mean where there is a real formula to calculate "immediately" the distribution of the positive vacuum charge and negative.

Although 1) it seems to be a passionating item, 2) I have been myself beginning my learning initiation in physics with this kind of ideas and I have spent a lot of time in investigating this way 3) I have found (At least I believe it, but I got until this day no feed-back to confirm of conversely critic my approach) a strange connection between gravitation and EM fields, I must have the fair play to say that this promising approach didn't yield until now any concrete result in the direction you want to explore; so, I am sorry, you get no help from me. But I wish you good luck

Ah, otherwise, if this way of thinking is really the way to explain all particles (with or without charge, color, ...) it must be a technically very difficult one; quite over my head. It implicitly implies to understand vacuum (vaccuo: energetic states) as a or with the vision of a perfect energetic fluid. Although this representation is not totally in contradiction with some recent results obtained at the Fermi Lab, it seems to be a hard discussed subject and not a place for peaceful investigations. So, as amateur, I cann't help here.

I know how we can derive the whole thing but I don't understand this formula. Its a kind of a modified vacuum polarzation tensor applied to coulomb field of a nucleus.

So I want to have another reference where I can compare the result optained in my book and obtained elsewhere.

Kruger said:

There are books where the calculation of vacuum polarization effects to Lamb shift is computed. While "the distribution of the positive vacuum charge and negative" can't really be computed.

Daniel.

Well I have a book at home where this distribution is computed. The whole of a positively charged particle induced vacuum polarisation charge is very tiny even for a Pb-atom.

1. What is vacuum polarization effect?

Vacuum polarization effect is a phenomenon in quantum electrodynamics that occurs when virtual particles and antiparticles are created in the vacuum space around an atom. These particles temporarily alter the electric field around the atom, causing a shift in the energy levels of the atom.

2. How does vacuum polarization affect the hydrogen atom?

Vacuum polarization causes a slight increase in the energy levels of the hydrogen atom, known as the Lamb shift. This effect is very small, but it has been experimentally confirmed and is an important factor in accurately predicting the energy levels of the hydrogen atom.

3. How is vacuum polarization calculated for the hydrogen atom?

Vacuum polarization is calculated using advanced mathematical equations in quantum electrodynamics. These equations take into account the interactions between the virtual particles and the electric field of the hydrogen atom.

4. What is the significance of calculating vacuum polarization for the hydrogen atom?

The accurate calculation of vacuum polarization for the hydrogen atom is important for understanding and predicting the properties of atoms and molecules. It also helps to confirm the validity of quantum electrodynamics as a theory of particle interactions.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding vacuum polarization in the hydrogen atom?

While vacuum polarization in the hydrogen atom may not have immediate practical applications, the understanding of this phenomenon has led to important advancements in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental interactions of particles.