Why does this happen with my graph?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of the function f(x)=x/x and how it has a T shape with the vertical line starting at x=0. The participants also discuss how the graphing site, Mathcad, deals with 0/0 and whether or not the vertical line at x=0 is correct. There is also a mention of a function A which has a similar line at x=0 and how it represents a hole in the graph. The conversation ends with a discussion about the default setting in Mathcad for defining 0/0 as 0 and how it can be changed.
Nikitin
I was doing some homework, trying to solve an equation by using algebra instead of reading from a graph (like I was supposed to), and I stumbled upon something:

Check out the attachment.

Why does the graph of f(x)=x/x have a T shape, with the vertical line starting at x=0 ? I know the graph isn't kind-of supposed to be defined for x=0, but I can't explain this anyway.

Attachments

• abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 430
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Nikitin! :smile:
Nikitin said:
… I know the graph isn't kind-of supposed to be defined for x=0, but I can't explain this anyway.

It should just have a tiny hole at x = 0,

since, as you say, it isn't defined there.​

I expect that particular graphing site (which one is it?) has a special way of dealing with 0/0 …

it looks like it's putting it equal to 0 …

so it joins that point, (0,0), to the rest of the graph by a line. :smile:

I'm using mathcad. great program.

anyway, I think it's supposed to be like this.. I used this function A=[(x-1)(x-2)^2 +4]/x which had a similar line going vertically from y=0 to y=8.
The line actually represented that for x=0 A could be whatever from 0 to 8, and that actually made sense and was correct. I know my situation is terribly explained, but point is I think the line is supposed to be there.

Nikitin said:
I know my situation is terribly explained, but point is I think the line is supposed to be there.

What Tiny Tim said.

You shouldn't "believe" anything that is generated by a computer program, unless you understand why it's right or wrong.

Whatever MathCad is doing here, even if it's reinforcing your personal opinion about how math is "supposed to be", that isn't helping you learn what's right.

well it's not my personal opinion, if the function in post 3# wouldn't have gone with the vertical line then my answer would be incorrect.

Nikitin said:
anyway, I think it's supposed to be like this.. I used this function A=[(x-1)(x-2)^2 +4]/x which had a similar line going vertically from y=0 to y=8.
The line actually represented that for x=0 A could be whatever from 0 to 8, and that actually made sense and was correct. I know my situation is terribly explained, but point is I think the line is supposed to be there.

A is undefined when x = 0. There should NOT be a vertical line.

Your function A is identical to y = x2 - 5x + 8, except that there is a "hole" in the graph of A at the point (0, 8). The graph of y = x2 - 5x + 8 is a parabola that opens up.

Nikitin said:
well it's not my personal opinion, if the function in post 3# wouldn't have gone with the vertical line then my answer would be incorrect.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Nikitin! :smile:

It should just have a tiny hole at x = 0,

since, as you say, it isn't defined there.​

I expect that particular graphing site (which one is it?) has a special way of dealing with 0/0 …

it looks like it's putting it equal to 0 …

so it joins that point, (0,0), to the rest of the graph by a line. :smile:

By default, Mathcad defines 0/0 as 0. There is an option to turn it off, thus allowing the user to catch the error and deal with it according to the nature of the problem.

NR

from the main menu:
Tools \ Worksheet Options ...​
This brings a dialog box with several tabs, choose the 'Calculation' tab and clear the '0/0=0' checkbox.

NemoReally said:
By default, Mathcad defines 0/0 as 0. There is an option to turn it off …

ahh!

thanks, NemoReally :smile:

However, it is very likely that "round off error" for numbers very close to 0 will cause difficutly with things like f(x)/g(x) where f(x) and g(x) are very close to 0 themselves.

1. Why is my graph not showing the expected trend?

There could be several reasons for this. First, check if your data is accurate and reliable. If there are any errors or outliers, it could affect the trend. Also, make sure you have chosen the appropriate type of graph for your data. Another possibility is that there is a third variable that you have not considered, which is affecting the trend.

2. How can I improve the clarity of my graph?

To improve the clarity of your graph, you can make sure to use appropriate labeling and titling. Also, make sure the scale of your graph is appropriate for your data. Too small or too big of a scale can distort the data and make it difficult to interpret. You can also consider using different colors or symbols to differentiate between different data sets.

3. Why does my graph have a negative correlation?

A negative correlation means that as one variable increases, the other decreases. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a negative relationship between the variables, errors in data collection, or the presence of a confounding variable. It is important to thoroughly analyze your data and consider all possible explanations before concluding a negative correlation.

4. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you are trying to show. For example, if you have categorical data, a bar graph or pie chart would be appropriate, while for continuous data, a line graph or scatter plot would be more suitable. Consider the purpose of your graph and the story you want to tell with your data before deciding on the type of graph.

5. What is the difference between correlation and causation in a graph?

Correlation means that two variables are related or associated in some way. However, this does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. Causation means that one variable directly affects the other. To determine causation, further research and experimentation are needed, and it can be difficult to establish a direct cause and effect relationship with just a graph.