Answer Quadratic Implicit Function: Horizontal/Vertical Tangent Line

In summary: What are they and how do we get there?In summary, the given equation is that of a circle which has been shifted. From the given equation, the slope of the tangent line can be found using implicit differentiation. To find the horizontal tangent, set the slope equal to 0 and solve for x. To find the vertical tangent, set the slope equal to infinity and solve for y. Finally, completing the square allows for a better understanding of the geometrical properties of the original equation.
ada0713

Homework Statement

a. Find dy/dx given that x[tex]^{2}[/tex]=y[tex]^{2}[/tex]-4x=7y=15
b. under what conditions on x and/or y is the tangent line to this curve horizontal? vertical?

2. The attempt at a solution

I did solve the first question by simply using implicit fuction.

2x+2y*y'-4+ty*y'=0
y'=[tex]\frac{4-2x}{9y}[/tex]

above is the answer that i ended up with

but I am kinda stuck with the second question
if the tangent line is horizonat i guess the slope has to be zero
so i just set [tex]\frac{4-2x}{9y}[/tex]=0 and
i ended up with x=2
but i don't know what to do with "vertical" part and
i'm not sure if i got the "horizonal" part either.

Physics news on Phys.org
for a that's right, just when you wrote out the question you forgot some +'s and put = instead.

yes horizontal tangent is when the derivative =0. so x=2 is current for that.
vertical tangent occurs when the the derivative = +-infinity.

and if you have a fraction when does it = infinity?

If the question is supposed to be x²+y²-4x+7y = 15 then I believe that your answer for y' is incorrect.

Note that your original equation is that of a circle which has been shifted. To write it in standard form, (x-a)²+(y-b)²=c² you can complete the square (I'm getting to a nice geometrical result, just hang on :D)

(x²-4x+4) -4 + (y²+7y + 49/4) - 49/4 = 15
(x-2)² + (y+7/2)² = 15 +4 + 49/4
(x-2)² + (y+7/2)² = [sqrt(125)/2]²

So your original equation is a circle of radius [sqrt(125)/2], centered at (2,-7/2). From this you should gather that there are 2 points that have a horizontal tangent, and two points that have a vertical one.

1. What is a quadratic implicit function?

A quadratic implicit function is a mathematical equation that relates two variables, where one variable is raised to the second power and the other variable is raised to the first power. It is written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x is the variable.

2. How do you find the horizontal and vertical tangent lines for a quadratic implicit function?

To find the horizontal tangent line for a quadratic implicit function, set the first derivative equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point where the tangent line is horizontal. To find the vertical tangent line, set the second derivative equal to 0 and solve for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point where the tangent line is vertical.

3. Why are horizontal and vertical tangent lines important for quadratic implicit functions?

Horizontal and vertical tangent lines help us understand the behavior of a quadratic implicit function at a specific point. The horizontal tangent line tells us the slope of the function at that point, while the vertical tangent line tells us the rate of change of the function at that point. This information is useful in determining maximum and minimum points, as well as the concavity of the function.

4. Can a quadratic implicit function have more than one horizontal or vertical tangent line?

Yes, a quadratic implicit function can have multiple horizontal and vertical tangent lines. This occurs when the function has a point of inflection, where the concavity changes from upward to downward or vice versa. In this case, the function will have two horizontal tangent lines and two vertical tangent lines at the point of inflection.

5. How can I graph a quadratic implicit function and visualize the horizontal and vertical tangent lines?

To graph a quadratic implicit function, you can use a graphing calculator or software, or manually plot points by substituting different x-values into the equation. The horizontal tangent line will be a straight line passing through the x-coordinate of the point where the first derivative is equal to 0. The vertical tangent line will be a straight line passing through the x-coordinate of the point where the second derivative is equal to 0.