Find all divisors of for example 29601

• Thread starter symplectic_manifold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding all divisors of a large number and whether there is a unified algorithm for this task. The concept of ordered factorization and the divisor function is also mentioned. The term "partitioning of the set of prime numbers" is explained as a way to find divisors, with each partition giving two divisors.
symplectic_manifold
A question:
If I want to find all divisors of for example 29601 and in general all divisors of any (large) number, do I have to do it "on foot" i.e. with help of the division rules or checking each number looking if it divides the given number?...As far as I know there is no unified algorithm for computing the divisors of any number...or am I wrong? Does there exist such an algorithm? Computing divisors of small numbers is clearly a cheap task but I find it extremely tedious for large numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
There exist algorithms (though still "tedious") for factoring numbers. Finding all divisors would then be a matter of partitioning the set of all prime factors. (But every partition gives you two divisors!)

"...An ordered factorization of the positive integer n into exactly l factors is an l-tuple (d_1, . . . , d_l) such that n = d_1 · · · d_l. The divisor function d(n)
counts the number of ordered factorizations of n into exactly two factors,
since each factorization n = dd' is completely determined by the first factor
d. For every positive integer l, we define the arithmetic function d_l(n)
the number of factorizations of n into exactly l factors. Then d_1(n) = 1
and d_2(n) = d(n) for all n..."

did you mean this?...I could barely understand anything however...it has something to do with multiplicative functions...it says.

Could you tell please me more about the term "partitioning of the set of prime numbers" and why every partition gives us two divisors? :smile:

Find prime factorization, e.g. [tex]60=2^{2}3^{1}5^{1}[/tex]. Any divisor will be of the form [tex]3=2^a3^b5^c[/tex] where 0<=a<=2, 0<=b<=1, 0<=c<=1, e.g [tex]2^03^15^0[/tex]. This corresponds to another divisor, [tex]60/3=20=2^23^05^1[/tex], and if you like you can think of this as a partition of the primes {2,2,3,5} into two 'multi'sets {3}, and {2,2,5}.

wherever that passage you quoted came from, it looks like they talk about the plain old divisor function d(n) earlier. Have a look at that section if possible.

1. What is the definition of a divisor?

A divisor is a number that can evenly divide another number without leaving a remainder.

2. How can I find all the divisors of a given number?

To find all the divisors of a number, you can start by listing all the numbers from 1 to the given number. Then, divide the given number by each of these numbers. Any number that divides the given number without leaving a remainder is a divisor. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a computer program to find the divisors.

3. What is the significance of finding all the divisors of a number?

Finding all the divisors of a number can help in various mathematical calculations and problem-solving. It can also help in determining whether a number is prime or composite.

4. Can a number have more than one divisor?

Yes, most numbers have more than one divisor. In fact, all numbers except for 0 and 1 have at least two divisors - 1 and the number itself. For example, the number 29601 has 1, 3, 7, and 29601 as its divisors.

5. Is there a limit to the number of divisors a number can have?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of divisors a number can have. The number of divisors of a number is finite and is determined by the number's prime factorization. For example, the number 29601 has 4 divisors because it can be expressed as a product of two prime numbers (3 and 7).