Average Potential Difference [SOLVED]

In summary, the voltage across the terminals of an ac power supply is given by V=V_0\cos(\omega t), with a voltage amplitude of V_0 = 46.0 V. The root-mean-square potential difference is 32.5 V. To find the average potential difference V_{{\rm a}{\rm v}} between the two terminals, you do not square before integrating and you do not take a square root afterwards. You integrate over one full period of the AC and divide by the length of the period. Alternatively, you can simply divide V by the square root of 2.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] Average Potential Difference

Homework Statement

The voltage across the terminals of an ac power supply varies with time according to V=V_0\cos(\omega t). The voltage amplitude is V_0 = 46.0 V

From the prior question, I already figured out that the root-mean-square potential difference is 32.5. V

Question What is the average potential difference V_{{\rm a}{\rm v}} between the two terminals of the power supply?

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{rms}=V/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]V_{rms}=Vcos(\omega*t+\varphi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought that the average and the rms was the same thing, but now I can't figure it out. Does it involve finding current?

Physics news on Phys.org
ttiger2k7 said:
At first I thought that the average and the rms was the same thing, but now I can't figure it out. Does it involve finding current?

The average is just like the rms, except you don't square before integrating and you do not take a square root afterwards. It does noet involve finding current

Hm, I don't understand. Where would you be integrating?

ttiger2k7 said:
Hm, I don't understand. Where would you be integrating?

when calculating the average. How did you calculate V_rms? You integrate over one full period of the AC and divide by the length of the period.

All I did to calculate V_rms was taking V divided by square root of 2, since for any sinusoidally varying quantity the rms value is always [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] the value. I didn't integrate at all.

What is Average Potential Difference?

Average Potential Difference refers to the average difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the work needed to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

How is Average Potential Difference calculated?

Average Potential Difference is calculated by dividing the total change in electric potential between two points by the distance between those points. This can be expressed as V = ΔV/d, where V is the average potential difference, ΔV is the total change in potential, and d is the distance between the points.

What is the unit of measurement for Average Potential Difference?

The unit of measurement for Average Potential Difference is volts (V). This is the same unit used to measure electric potential and is equivalent to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

Why is Average Potential Difference important?

Average Potential Difference is important because it helps us understand the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is a key factor in determining the direction and magnitude of electric current, and is also used to calculate the amount of work done by an electric field in moving charges.

How does Average Potential Difference relate to resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between Average Potential Difference and resistance. This means that as the potential difference increases, the resistance in a circuit will also increase. In other words, a higher potential difference will lead to a larger flow of electric current through a circuit with a given resistance.