What torque will a camera and lens generate on a tripod head?

• Thread starter ICLKennyg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fulcrum
In summary: I think it was. I like metric so I used the units that came to mind. But you can use foot-pounds if you want, you will just have to convert the cm to feet and the grams to pounds.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a formula to calculate the torque or moment generated by a camera and lens on a tripod head. It is determined that the moment is the more appropriate term and it can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the camera and lens by the distance from the center of gravity to the tripod mount. The units do not cancel and can be converted if needed.
ICLKennyg
I have a problem and it's been a while since I took a physics class.

So camera tripods are rated in weight... but this is more a function of torque than weight. The idea is the head can only hold so much force level. Obviously as the lens weight and length increases the force on the camera and tripod head gets worse. I am looking for a formula that will tell me what a lens will give me in a torque force on a tripod head. Sorry google doesn't seem to have much help on this.

For simplicity's sake we can assume that the camera has no thickness.

If a camera weighs 500g and a lens weighs 1kg distributed to a balancing point of 4cm away from the camera and 6cm away from the end (10cm long lens) how much torque would this generate on the tripod head. If it really matters the camera in question is 5cm wide with the mount roughly in the middle. Also in case it's important the distance from the tripod mount (bottom) to the center of the lens mount is 3cm.

A quick diagram of what I am talking about.
http://kj.stillabower.net/forum/imgs/camera.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ICLKennyg said:
I have a problem and it's been a while since I took a physics class.

So camera tripods are rated in weight... but this is more a function of torque than weight. The idea is the head can only hold so much force level. Obviously as the lens weight and length increases the force on the camera and tripod head gets worse. I am looking for a formula that will tell me what a lens will give me in a torque force on a tripod head. Sorry google doesn't seem to have much help on this.

For simplicity's sake we can assume that the camera has no thickness.

If a camera weighs 500g and a lens weighs 1kg distributed to a balancing point of 4cm away from the camera and 6cm away from the end (10cm long lens) how much torque would this generate on the tripod head. If it really matters the camera in question is 5cm wide with the mount roughly in the middle. Also in case it's important the distance from the tripod mount (bottom) to the center of the lens mount is 3cm.

A quick diagram of what I am talking about.
http://kj.stillabower.net/forum/imgs/camera.jpg
The link wouldn't work for me.

The answer appears to be quite simple to figure though. If the cg (center of gravity) of the camera is exactly over the vertical shaft of the tripod, it will present 0 gram.centimeters torque to the head. If it is not, you must add (or subtract) the torque presented by the camera to that presented by the lens. Multiply the weight of the lens by the distance of its cg from the center of the tripod and you have the torque presented by the lens. Add that to the torque presented by the camera and you have the total torque.

but this is more a function of torque than weight.

I don't mean to be picky but what you are after is the MOMENT not the torque. A torque is a dynamic torsional force, like found in the drive shaft of a car, the moment is a static torsion like what is represented here.

Anyway, like isly said just multiply the gravitational force of the lens and camera by the distance its offset from the hinge, assuming these vectors are orthonormal. If they are not, then just take the cross product.

isly ilwott said:
The link wouldn't work for me.

The answer appears to be quite simple to figure though. If the cg (center of gravity) of the camera is exactly over the vertical shaft of the tripod, it will present 0 gram.centimeters torque to the head. If it is not, you must add (or subtract) the torque presented by the camera to that presented by the lens. Multiply the weight of the lens by the distance of its cg from the center of the tripod and you have the torque presented by the lens. Add that to the torque presented by the camera and you have the total torque.

Sorry misplaced my plurals
http://kj.stillabower.net/forums/img/camera.jpg

Do the units matter, or will they cancel as long as they are consistant?

Topher925 said:
I don't mean to be picky but what you are after is the MOMENT not the torque. A torque is a dynamic torsional force, like found in the drive shaft of a car, the moment is a static torsion like what is represented here.

Anyway, like isly said just multiply the gravitational force of the lens and camera by the distance its offset from hinge, assuming these vectors are orthonormal. If they are not, then just take the cross product.
That is picky. Should I rename my torque wrench to be a moment wrench?

All this time I've thought torque to be:

n.
The moment of a force; the measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion and rotation about an axis, equal to the vector product of the radius vector from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force and the force vector.
A turning or twisting force

The object being torqued does not have to be rotating. The torsional force, quantified in foot-pounds, gram-centimeters, kilogram-meters or some other understandable units is still properly labeled as torque. My understanding is that structural engineers use the term "moment" to describe a similar static force on beams, that force being calculated much the same as torque on a hex head bolt is calculated...except it's more complicated than using one distance and one force.

ICLKennyg said:
Sorry misplaced my plurals
http://kj.stillabower.net/forums/img/camera.jpg

Do the units matter, or will they cancel as long as they are consistant?
They do not cancel. You will just get a different number if you calculate foot-pounds as opposed to gram-centimeters. You had originally expressed the linear measure in cm and the weight in grams.

What is the fulcrum problem?

The fulcrum problem refers to the challenge of finding the balance point or pivot point in a lever system. It is a common problem in physics and engineering.

What is a fulcrum?

A fulcrum is the point on which a lever pivots or rotates. It is the point where the lever is supported and allows for the transfer of force.

How do you find the fulcrum in a lever system?

The fulcrum can be found by using the principle of moments or torque. This involves balancing the clockwise and counterclockwise forces acting on the lever to find the point where they are equal.

Why is the fulcrum important in a lever system?

The fulcrum is important because it determines the mechanical advantage of the lever. It also allows for the transfer of force and helps to balance the load being lifted.

What are some real-life examples of the fulcrum problem?

The fulcrum problem can be seen in many everyday objects such as seesaws, scissors, and crowbars. It is also a key concept in engineering and construction, as it is used to design and balance structures such as bridges and cranes.

Back