What is the range of values for g-1({-2,-1,0}) for a floor function?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a function and the use of preimages. The problem involves finding the preimages of a set under a step function and the range of values for these preimages. The conversation also clarifies the notation for inverse functions and the difference between invertible and non-invertible functions. The conversation concludes with a question about the range for the preimages and an example calculation.
TheLegace

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

find g^-1({-2,-1,0}).
These problems really throw me off, in my textbook there is a similar problem but with x/2, and the inverse of the function yeilds a range of values. I would like to know if the same is true here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a floor function would the range be something like

n<x+2<n+1

Any help is appreciated.
Thank You.

Attachments

• Floor.jpg
    Floor.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
You can only define an true inverse function to a function that is one-to-one. Well, Either that or you have to narrow down your domain/range to a region where it is one-to-one. Think about the the simple function [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex]. Since both f(-2) and f(2) are equal to 4, we cannot define an inverse function (call g(x)) since we would not know what number to assign to g(4) - should it be -2 or should it be 2? However, if we only look at positive values of x, then we are free to define [tex]g(x) = f^{-1}(x) = \sqrt{x}[/tex] since [tex]g(f(x))=\sqrt{f(x)}=\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex] (note that the last equality holds because we are only interested in positive values of x - otherwise both -x and x would do).

The problem with defining an inverse function comes about when multiple values in the domain of the function get sent to the same value in the range. Sometimes, like with the above function, we can handle it by only looking at a portion of the graph. However, with your step function, you can see that this solution does not really work. Every single value between 0 and 1 gets sent to 0 by the step function! So defining an inverse function is out of the question.

However, there is another mathematical object, called a preimage, which happens to have the same notation as an inverse function, that is probably what this question is asking for. If we have a function, f, then the preimage of a, written [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex] is the set of all values, x, in the domain so that [tex]f(x)=a[/tex]. As an example, take what we did earlier with f(x) = x^2. Under this function, the preimage of 4 is the set {-2,2} since both f(-2) = 4 and f(2) = 4.

So in your problem, then want you to tell them all of the values of x that will give g(x)=-2, g(x)=-1, or g(x)=0. Let's look at the first one. What points will give you g(x)=-2. Well, since we're rounding down, as long as x is between -2 and -1, then I will have g(x)=-2. So the preimage of -2 for this function is all x in the range -2<x<1. So you were right that it will be a range. Now you just need to find the preimages of -1 and 0 under g and then combine them all together. Does that make sense?

The very, very first time I had to present a proof in a graduate class, it involved f-1(A) for a set A- and proceeded through the entire proof assuming f had an inverse function! Very embarassing.

For set A, g-1(A) is defined as [itex]\left{ x| g(x)\in A}[/itex], the set of all x such that g(x) is in A. If g is not "onto", g-1(A) may be the empty set for some A, but it still exists. If g is not "one-to-one", g(A) may not be a singleton set even when A is. The notation does NOT imply that g must be invertible.

In particular, g-1({-2, -1, 0}) is the set of all x such that g(x)= -2 or g(x)= -1 or g(x)= 0. Since g is the least integer function, g maps all numbers between -2 and -1 into -2, all numbers from -1 to 0 into -1, and all numbers from 0 to 1 into 0.

Oh wow, I actually understand it now. Thank You Very Much.

I am thinking that when you find inverse of a function you get some sort of function, and maybe a distinct values, but I see that it is just the way things are mapped in each respective set, since the floor function yeilds an integer, the input/x values from the function will be real numbers from a respective range.

Thank You so Very Much.

TheLegace.

HallsofIvy said:
The very, very first time I had to present a proof in a graduate class, it involved f-1(A) for a set A- and proceeded through the entire proof assuming f had an inverse function! Very embarassing.

For set A, g-1(A) is defined as [itex]\left{ x| g(x)\in A}[/itex], the set of all x such that g(x) is in A. If g is not "onto", g-1(A) may be the empty set for some A, but it still exists. If g is not "one-to-one", g(A) may not be a singleton set even when A is. The notation does NOT imply that g must be invertible.

In particular, g-1({-2, -1, 0}) is the set of all x such that g(x)= -2 or g(x)= -1 or g(x)= 0. Since g is the least integer function, g maps all numbers between -2 and -1 into -2, all numbers from -1 to 0 into -1, and all numbers from 0 to 1 into 0.

Hi, sorry one last question. For the ranges are you accounting for the floor(x+2), the +2 part of function, because, if g(x)=-2, then x+2=-2, the largest negative value that could be will be -4, and -3, so maybe -2<x+2<-1, then -4<x<-3, correct, beause the answer needs to be shown in that way, and example for this would be if g(-3.5)=floor(-1.5)= -2, so to yield values of -2, we would need all real numbers from -4 to -3, not including -3 of course, but including -4, I hope that's right.

Thank You.
TheLegace.

What is the inverse floor function?

The inverse floor function, also known as the ceiling function, is a mathematical operation that rounds a number up to the nearest integer.

How is the inverse floor function written?

The inverse floor function is written as "⌈x⌉", where x is the number being rounded up.

What is the difference between the inverse floor function and the floor function?

The floor function rounds a number down to the nearest integer, while the inverse floor function rounds a number up to the nearest integer.

When is the inverse floor function used?

The inverse floor function is used in various mathematical and computer science applications, such as rounding up measurements or calculating the ceiling of a number in algorithms.

What is the inverse of the inverse floor function?

The inverse of the inverse floor function is the identity function, which means that the output will always be the same as the input.