Exploring the Effect of Large δ on Sinusoidal Function at x=1.5

In summary, the conversation discusses a sinusoidal function where the value of δ can greatly affect the behavior of the function as it approaches a specific value. The conversation also mentions the importance of the delta-epsilon proof in determining the validity of a given expression. The participants also mention the possibility of disproving a false definition in order to gain a better understanding of the concept.
dE_logics
In a sinusoidal function...suppose the value of δ is very large...then as x approaches any a, the value of f(x) might not approach L directly...or there should not be a direct relation; example -

[tex]\lim_{x \to 1.5} sin x = 0.997494986[/tex]

Where I've stated δ as 7...then if x = 1.5 – 6.9 = -5.4; as x approach 1.5 from -5.4, value of sin x does not directly approach 0.997494986...it fluctuates between 1 to -1 many times before it reaches that value.

My question is...is this expression [tex]\lim_{x \to 1.5} sin x = 0.997494986[/tex] with δ as 7 valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter "how" x approaches a. The only requirement is that "if |x-a|< delta, then |f(x)- L|< epsilon. It is NOT a matter of x getting "closer and closer to a".

Talking about f(x) changing "as x approaches 1.5", for x distant from 1.5 is completely irrelevant. Given any epsilon> 0, there exist a delta such that if |x- 1.5|< delta, then |sin(x)-0.5381|< epsilon.

HallsofIvy said:
It does not matter "how" x approaches a. The only requirement is that "if |x-a|< delta, then |f(x)- L|< epsilon. It is NOT a matter of x getting "closer and closer to a".

Talking about f(x) changing "as x approaches 1.5", for x distant from 1.5 is completely irrelevant. Given any epsilon> 0, there exist a delta such that if |x- 1.5|< delta, then |sin(x)-0.5381|< epsilon.

Oh, ok, I get it...I think.

|sin(x)-0.5381| should not exceed ε if |x- 1.5|< delta.

dE_logics said:
Oh, ok, I get it...I think.

|sin(x)-0.5381| should not exceed ε if |x- 1.5|< delta.

Rather the other way around. If |x-1.5| < delta, then |sin(x)-.05381| will be less than epsilon. That's the point of the delta-epsilon proof.

We can take either ways.

dE_logics said:
We can take either ways.
actually, watch out for the false definition:

for any epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that |f(x) - L | < epsilon => |x-a| < delta

this is WRONG. it would be a good exercise disproving this

"B if A" is the same as "if A, then B." If you read carefully, you'll notice dE_logics said the right thing (except with an incorrect value for the limit. I don't know where Halls got 0.5381 from...).

Moo Of Doom said:
"B if A" is the same as "if A, then B." If you read carefully, you'll notice dE_logics said the right thing (except with an incorrect value for the limit. I don't know where Halls got 0.5381 from...).
Neither do I! I don't know where I got that.

Moo Of Doom said:

yeah, I noticed that, but it is good practise to disprove the false statement anyway, many functions work under that particular kind of false definition

1. What is the purpose of exploring the effect of large δ on sinusoidal functions at x=1.5?

The purpose of this exploration is to understand how changing the value of δ, or the phase shift, affects the shape and behavior of a sinusoidal function at a specific x-value. By studying this, we can gain a deeper understanding of the properties and characteristics of sinusoidal functions.

2. How does a large δ impact a sinusoidal function at x=1.5?

A large δ, or phase shift, causes the sinusoidal function to shift horizontally. This means that the entire graph will be shifted to the left or right, depending on the direction of the phase shift. At x=1.5, the specific impact will depend on the amplitude, frequency, and other parameters of the function.

3. What are the potential consequences of a large δ on a sinusoidal function at x=1.5?

The consequences of a large δ will depend on the specific values of the function's other parameters. However, some potential consequences include a change in the amplitude or frequency of the function, a shift of the graph to the left or right, and a change in the overall shape of the function.

4. How does the value of δ affect the behavior of a sinusoidal function at x=1.5?

The value of δ directly impacts the horizontal shift of the sinusoidal function. A larger value of δ will result in a greater horizontal shift, while a smaller value will result in a smaller shift. This means that the behavior of the function at x=1.5 will be different depending on the value of δ.

5. What are some real-world applications of exploring the effect of large δ on sinusoidal functions at x=1.5?

Understanding the effect of large δ on sinusoidal functions can have various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, this can help determine the behavior of wave functions in different scenarios. In engineering, it can aid in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. In finance, it can be used to model and predict market trends.