Question regarding Curl and Cross Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the standard cross product and the curl in vector calculus. While the formula for the standard cross product involves using appropriate 2x2 determinants, the formula for the curl uses the same determinants but with i + j + k. The reason for this difference is due to the order of the ad-bc being switched in front of the j in the formula for the curl.
bitrex
I'm studying vector calculus, and have a question about the curl and its relation to a cross product of the del operator and a vector. When doing a standard cross product as the formula I have i(det1) - j(det2) + k(det3), where det1, 2 3 are the appropriate 2x2 determinants. However for the curl it's the same determinants, but i + j + k. I'm wondering what the reason for the difference is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are right in your assertion. Curl operates like any other cross product, and the method of cofactors operates the same way.

Looking at the wikipedia page for curl though, you might get confused by the formula given as it has 3 +s, but notice that the order of the ad-bc is switched in front of the j to bc-ad.

Ah, I see what I missed now. Thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is the difference between curl and cross product?

Curl and cross product are two different mathematical operations used in vector calculus. The curl of a vector field is a measure of how much the vector field is rotating at a given point, while the cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors and has a magnitude equal to the product of their magnitudes multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. How are curl and cross product related?

The curl of a vector field can be expressed as the cross product of the del operator and the vector field. In other words, the curl is the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field.

3. What are some real-world applications of curl and cross product?

Curl and cross product have many applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used in fluid mechanics to describe the motion of fluids, in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, and in computer graphics to calculate the direction of reflection of light rays.

4. Can curl and cross product be used in non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, curl and cross product can be defined in non-Euclidean spaces, such as curved surfaces. However, the formulas for calculating them may be more complex and may require the use of differential geometry.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the curl and cross product?

The physical interpretation of the curl is the tendency of a vector field to rotate around a point, while the physical interpretation of the cross product is the creation of a new vector that is perpendicular to the two original vectors. In other words, the curl and cross product have physical significance in describing rotational and perpendicular motion in a given system.