Calculating Force to Open a Door with 60 Pascal Pressure

• Thread starter LeeH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, To calculate the force needed to open a door with a 60 pascal pressure acting against it, you first need to determine the surface area of the door, which in this case is 2 square meters. The force can then be calculated by multiplying the surface area by the differential pressure, resulting in a force of 120 pascals. This force acts at the center of the door, so you will need to use a second-class lever to open the door. If 10 pascals is equivalent to 1 kilogram of force per square meter, then the force needed to open the door is 12 kilograms (excluding the use of the lever).
LeeH
Please can one of you brainy people out there help me. I need to work out the force to open a door when there is a 60pascal pressure acting against it.

The size of the door is 1000mm wide x 2000mm high.
The differential Pressure is 60 pascals
The handle is 70mm away from the leading edge of the door.

Ideally I need the calculation so I do the calc myself on future projects.

I did find the attached documents, just not fully sure what figures to use where.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The area of the door is:
A = 2 m2
Force = A [tex]\Delta[/tex]p​
This force acts at the center of the door.
Now that you have a force and its point of application, you can calculate the value of the counteracting force at the handle.

Hint: consider moment equilibrium at the door's hinge.

P.S.
It only works at the time zero, before the door starts to rotate. After that, the air starts to leak in (or out) and things get quite nasty, involving a 3D fluid dynamics.

I agree with the last post, but If there is a handle to open too you will have more than one equation, first torque times distance to open the handle and then... carry on with the last comment unless I have missed the point. Also I don't thing think the pressure will effect the center of the door, but the centroid of the door. But what do I know I am just a dumb college student.

Guys, thanks for all your help so far, but I am still unsure what the force to open my door is. Could one of you spell it out for me in very simple terms and do the calculation so I can see what the answer is and how to do it.

Thanks

pidfire said:
Also I don't thing think the pressure will effect the center of the door, but the centroid of the door.

Most doors are rectangular, some are round - in both cases centers are in the same point. So while you are in general right, it doesn't matter.

LeeH said:
Guys, thanks for all your help so far, but I am still unsure what the force to open my door is. Could one of you spell it out for me in very simple terms and do the calculation so I can see what the answer is and how to do it.

You need to calculate force acting on the door - that is, pressure times surface area. Then you have a second class lever at work.

Okay, so

A = 2 m2
Force = A (delta)p

Force = 2 x 60
Force = 120Pa

If 10 Pascals is equivalent of 1Kg of force /M2

Force = 12Kg (to open door - exluding application of second class lever)

1. How is force calculated when opening a door with 60 Pascal pressure?

The force required to open a door with 60 Pascal pressure can be calculated using the formula F=P*A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area in square meters.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for force?

The standard unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N). Other commonly used units include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg).

3. How do I convert Pascal to Newtons?

Pascals (Pa) and Newtons (N) are both units of measurement for force. To convert from Pascal to Newton, multiply the Pascal value by the area in square meters.

4. Is 60 Pascal pressure enough to open a door?

The amount of force required to open a door depends on various factors such as the weight and size of the door, the type of hinges, and the force applied by the person opening it. 60 Pascal pressure may be enough to open a door, but it is always best to consult the door's specifications for the recommended force required.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate force for different pressure levels?

Yes, the formula F=P*A can be used to calculate force for different pressure levels. However, keep in mind that the force required to open a door may vary depending on the pressure applied and other factors, so the result may not be exact.