Finding the area of a region between curve and horizontal axis

In summary, this problem asks for the area under a function y = 6x3 - 2 for a range of x values. The student was not able to simplify the problem, and it turned out to be a waste of time.
Razael

Homework Statement

Find the area under y = 6x3 - 2 for 5 <_ x <_ 10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how it wants us to do it; do we use sigma notation or the general right/left-hand sums?

Using sigma notation, delta T = 10-5/n

T0= 5/n (?)
T1= 10/n
Ti = 5i/n

5/n[tex]\sum6(5i/n)^3 -2[/tex]

750/n^4 -2 (Sigma) i^3

I'm not sure if I can bring the 2 out like that, and I'm also not sure what i^3 equals (is it (n(n+1)/2)^3?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without a bit more information it's difficult to know how they expect you to find the answer, because there are numerous ways to do so. You could simply take the definite integral, but it looks like (from your work) you're expected to use the limit definition and Riemann Sums.

Your delta t is correct, but t0 for these problems is usually equal to the lower boundary. t1 and your other subintervals would only be correct if the lower boundary was zero. Think about that.

And no, you're not allowed to pull out the -2 like that. Try to take a look at your Sigma rules to see what you can do to simplify the problem once you find the value of f(ti).

The sum of i3, with i = 1 to n is [n(n+1)/2]2.

Looking back, a T0 of 5 does make a lot more sense. T1, then, would be 5 +5/n, T2 would be 5+10/n, so Ti would be 5+5i/n?

5/n[tex]\sum6(5+5i/n)^3-2[/tex]

I've started simplifying this and it doesn't look right.

Razael said:
I've started simplifying this and it doesn't look right.

Well, what were you trying and what doesn't look right? :)

Sorry for the late response.

It just seemed too "long" for a generic textbook problem; asked the instructor, turns out we were supposed to use a calculator on those ones (other included cos and natural logs inside the summation which I had no idea how to pull out).

Used a calculator and the antiderivative, came to the same answer for both. Thank you for helping even though it turned out to be a waste of time.

What is the definition of the area between a curve and the horizontal axis?

The area between a curve and the horizontal axis is the space enclosed between the curve and the x-axis on a graph.

How do you calculate the area between a curve and the horizontal axis?

To calculate the area between a curve and the horizontal axis, you can use the definite integral of the function that represents the curve. The limits of integration will be the x-values where the curve intersects with the x-axis.

What is the difference between finding the area under a curve and finding the area between a curve and the horizontal axis?

Finding the area under a curve involves finding the total area between the curve and the x-axis, while finding the area between a curve and the horizontal axis only involves finding the area between the curve and the x-axis within a specific interval. This means that the area under a curve will always be greater than or equal to the area between the curve and the horizontal axis.

Can the area between a curve and the horizontal axis be negative?

Yes, the area between a curve and the horizontal axis can be negative. This occurs when the curve lies below the x-axis, resulting in the definite integral being negative.

What are some real-world applications of finding the area between a curve and the horizontal axis?

Finding the area between a curve and the horizontal axis has many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding displacement in physics, and determining the net profit or loss in economics.