Cylinder rolling down an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a standard physics problem involving a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane that is able to slide on the ground. The goal is to find the acceleration of the cylinder relative to the plane. The conversation covers various equations and principles, including conservation of momentum and fictitious forces. It is mentioned that the problem could be made more challenging by adding in additional factors, such as friction and inertia. The option of using Lagrangian dynamics to solve the problem is also brought up.
PhMichael

Homework Statement

So I have this standard problem of a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane, however, this time the plane itself is free to slide on the ground. I need to find the acceleration of that cylinder relative to the plane.

2. The attempt at a solution

[PLAIN]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/14/rollingf.jpg

V / A - the velocity / acceleration of the plane relative to the ground.
v / a - the velocity / acceleration of the cylinder relative to the plane.

The velocity of the cylinder relative to the ground is:

[tex] \vec{u}=\vec{v}+\vec{V}=(vcos \beta -V) \hat{x} - (vsin \beta) \hat{y} [/tex]

Momentum is conserved conserved in the [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] direction so that:

[tex] 0=-MV+m(v cos \beta -V) \to V=\frac{m}{M+m} v cos \beta [/tex]

so the acceleration of the plane relative to the ground is:

[tex] A=\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{m}{m+M}a cos \beta [/tex]

About point P, we have:

[tex] \vec{\tau}_{P}=mR(g sin \beta + A cos \beta) \hat{z} [/tex]

[tex] I_{P}\vec{\alpha}=(0.5MR^{2}+MR^{2})\vec{\alpha}=1.5MR^{2} \frac{a}{R}\hat{z} [/tex]

Equating the last two equations while using the equation of A yields:

[tex]a=gsin\beta\left [ \frac{3}{2}-\left ( \frac{m}{m+M} \right )cos^{2}\beta \right ] [/tex]

This answer is correct, however, I'm not sure whether what I did is kosher; to be more specific, is linear momentum conserved along the [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] direction? are fictitious forces, like the one we have here on the cylinder as a result of the plane's acceleration, not treated as real forces so that eventhough they exist, we may still use the conservation of momentum principle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhMichael said:
to be more specific, is linear momentum conserved along the [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] direction? are fictitious forces, like the one we have here on the cylinder as a result of the plane's acceleration, not treated as real forces so that eventhough they exist, we may still use the conservation of momentum principle?

It depends on the reference frame and the system you consider. Whenever there is no external force, the linear momentum is conserved. Remember how to derive the law from F=dp/dt?

In the frame of the ground, if you consider the system of the wedge & the cylinder, the momentum of the system is conserved. With the same system, but in the frame of the wedge, there is fictitious force, i.e. F = dp/dt is not zero, the momentum is not conserved.

Looks good to me! Now if you truly wanted to make this problem difficult you could add in friction, inertia effects, and some good old lagrange multipliers. :p

Also, if you know of Lagrangian dynamics then it could be fun to solve the problem in an alternate way, which I might do just for fun.

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the speed of the cylinder?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the cylinder will roll down due to the force of gravity. As the angle increases, the component of gravity acting parallel to the plane increases, causing the cylinder to accelerate.

2. What factors affect the rotational motion of the cylinder?

The rotational motion of the cylinder is affected by its mass, radius, and the slope of the inclined plane. The higher the mass and radius of the cylinder, the more rotational inertia it has, making it harder to accelerate. The slope of the inclined plane also affects the rotational acceleration, with steeper slopes causing faster rotations.

3. How does the surface of the inclined plane impact the motion of the cylinder?

The surface of the inclined plane can affect the motion of the cylinder in several ways. If the surface is rough, it can create friction between the cylinder and the plane, slowing down the motion. Smooth surfaces will have less friction and allow the cylinder to roll faster. Additionally, if the surface is not level, the cylinder may experience an acceleration or deceleration due to the change in slope.

4. What is the relationship between the height of the inclined plane and the distance the cylinder travels?

The distance the cylinder travels is directly proportional to the height of the inclined plane. As the height of the plane increases, the potential energy of the cylinder increases, causing it to roll further. This relationship is also affected by the angle of the plane and the rotational motion of the cylinder.

5. How does the shape of the cylinder affect its motion down the inclined plane?

The shape of the cylinder can impact its motion down the inclined plane in various ways. A cylinder with a larger diameter will have a larger rotational inertia, making it harder to accelerate. The shape of the cylinder can also affect the amount of surface area in contact with the inclined plane, which can impact the amount of friction and the overall motion of the cylinder.