Energy required to thaw one gallon of ice

• Thread starter eniwetok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Ice
In summary, the question is about how much energy can be saved in refrigerator operation by freezing a gallon of water outside and then putting it in the fridge to thaw. The answer involves calculating the energy needed to heat and melt the ice, which comes out to be 0.1 kWh. However, the actual energy consumed by the fridge will be less due to its efficiency. An experiment could be done to measure the difference in energy consumption.
eniwetok
Not sure if the title does this question justice. My question how much energy in KWHs or a fraction thereof, could be saved in refrigerator operation if someone took a gallon of water, let it freeze solid outside during a 0F degree night, then placed it in their refrigerator until it thawed to around 35F… roughly the ambient temperature in the fridge.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy needed to heat a material is Q = mcT
m is the mass, T is the temperature change and c is the specific heat capacity (in metric units water=4.2KJ/kg/deg C ice=2KJ/kg/deg C)

Then the energy needed to melt the ice (and so the energy given out when ice melts) is called the latent heat of fusion ( 334 kJ/kg for ice->water)

NobodySpecial said:
The energy needed to heat a material is Q = mcT
m is the mass, T is the temperature change and c is the specific heat capacity (in metric units water=4.2KJ/kg/deg C ice=2KJ/kg/deg C)

Then the energy needed to melt the ice (and so the energy given out when ice melts) is called the latent heat of fusion ( 334 kJ/kg for ice->water)
Thanks for responding NS, but you're talking to someone who managed to get through college but hadn't passed a math class since junior HS algebra. LOL

Ok working in metric - cos I don't know the numbers for lbs/fahenheit etc

To heat 1 kg of ice from -18C (approx 0f) to 0C gives Q = 1Kg * 2KJ/kg/degC * 18degC = 36KJ
To melt 1 kg of ice gives Q = 1Kg * 334 KJ/kg = 334KJ
Then heating the water form 0C to 2C (ie 35F) gives Q = 1Kg * 4.2KJ/kg/degC * 2C = 8.4KJ

So overall you get 36KJ + 334KJ + 8.4KJ = 378KJ
378/3600 = 0.1 KWh

NobodySpecial said:
So overall you get 36KJ + 334KJ + 8.4KJ = 378KJ
378/3600 = 0.1 KWh
Thanks NS... now that makes sense. So it's the same amount of electricity as running a 100 watt bulb for an hour. And at a 10 cents a KWH Guess I was hoping for more savings than a penny. Oh well. Thanks again!

eniwetok said:
Thanks NS... now that makes sense. So it's the same amount of electricity as running a 100 watt bulb for an hour. And at a 10 cents a KWH Guess I was hoping for more savings than a penny. Oh well. Thanks again!

While it is true that it will take 0.1 kWh to warm the ice, that does not mean that it will only consume 0.1 kWh from the wall. That would be the case only if the refrigerator was 100%, which it is not. Unfortunately, I don't have even a ballpark figure for how efficient refrigerators are. While a google search brings up lots of hits, they are mainly concerned with more practical measures of efficiency, and I'm unsure how to convert it.

Anecdotally, my experience with coolers is that if you were to replace a gallon's worth of ice on a daily basis they should be able to keep cool indefinitely. While refrigerators are larger, it suggests to me that it could, at least, help.

It would be rather easy to test with an experiment. Measure the refrigerator's energy consumption for a week, then add a gallon of ice every day for a week and measure it again.

DaleSwanson said:
While it is true that it will take 0.1 kWh to warm the ice, that does not mean that it will only consume 0.1 kWh from the wall. That would be the case only if the refrigerator was 100%, which it is not. Unfortunately, I don't have even a ballpark figure for how efficient refrigerators are.
Actually, since refrigerators are moving energy around, not creating useful work, they are not rated in terms of efficiency, but rather COP and they typically have a COP of 2.5:1. So the reality is the refrigerator will use a lot less than .1 kWh to make that ice.

What is the definition of "Energy"?

Energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. In scientific terms, it is the capacity of a system to perform work.

How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in units of joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). Other common units of energy include calories (cal) and British thermal units (BTU).

What is the specific heat capacity of ice?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 Joules/gram °C. This means that it takes 2.09 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of ice by 1 degree Celsius.

How much energy is required to thaw one gallon of ice?

To thaw one gallon (3.785 liters) of ice, approximately 14,300 joules of energy are required. This can also be expressed as 3,420 calories or 3.41 BTUs.

Can the energy required to thaw one gallon of ice vary?

Yes, the energy required to thaw one gallon of ice can vary depending on factors such as the initial temperature of the ice, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the efficiency of the heating method used.