Identifying Mountain in The Netherlands - A Challenging Adventure!

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, Andre was challenged to find a mountain in The Netherlands, but instead found a bulb flower field. He was not prepared for the 100% crop, but discovered a full set of equipment and filters he never would have found otherwise.
Andre
So Omcheeto challenged me to find that mountain in The Netherlands..

OmCheeto said:
Yippie!

Ok. Here's an easy one. It's a picture my sister emailed me last week:

10.jpg

This should be an easy one for Andre. He lives in the http://stories-etc.com/Netherlands.htm", and should be able to identify that mountain in the background. :rolleyes:

Not too hard indeed, except that it was Oregon. So today I checked if we really had so many bulb flowers here, and this is the result.

2aj29m1.jpg

2dqt10j.jpg

and then suddenly two Oystercatchers cross the view finder...

29old7a.jpg

Unprepared but still nice: the 100% crop. (sorry for the width)

etsf2o.jpg

24nnsps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very beautiful.

No Jan Herte tractors?

Some more;

What you can do with 12mm wide angle:

desaxh.jpg

1zdt56s.jpg

However immediately after the blooming the tulips are decapitated... :frown:

dob7v8.jpg

lisab said:
Very beautiful.

No Jan Herte tractors?

:biggrin: Thanks Lisa, Indeed that herten species is not common here. maybe in a museum for endangered tractors.

museum for endangered tractors :D :D

[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2716/dsc6169.jpg

Sorry- I couldn't resist.

I took this last night- it's a compact fluorescent bulb, taken through a BG3 filter: there's a story why I did this- bear with me, there's a good punchline at the end.

My Ultraphot III was free- the terms were that I had to haul the (disassembled) beast out of the warehouse. It was a gamble that paid off, because hidden in all the drawers was a full set of epi-DIC objectives, a full set of luminars, and more- plus, the scope is in perfect working condition. There was also a bunch of Schott and Kopp color glass filters, which I no idea what to do with. Since I now have a color camera, I re-discovered the glass filters and have been seeing what I can do with them: I'm thinking solar photography, but in any case when I was wandering around looking at stuff through the various filters I noticed that looking at a CFL through the BG3 filter was *really* weird. In fact, looking at *any* intense light though that filter (and only that filter- not the RG645, OG2, 5-60 or 2-60, or any of the other ones) results in the appearance of what can be described as 'sparkles', 'tiny ants', or 'light-dark dashes' crawling around the source. I made my wife look and verify that she saw it, too- I was starting to think there was something *really* wrong with my eyes- but I am convinced it's an optical illusion: I can't capture the effect with a camera.

I did some digging, and the BG3 passband is restricted to only the blue cone sensitivity. So now I am *convinced* it's a biological effect, some combination of bleaching the cones and saccadic movements of the eye. I urge you to get a BG3 filter (they are reasonably cheap) and see for yourself- it's truly bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOOO BEAUTIFUL Andre :!)

Thanks for sharing.

Andre said:
However immediately after the blooming the tulips are decapitated... :frown:

dob7v8.jpg

How dare he! Couldn't they just give it to people/hospitals/schools... Oh wait 'nothing's free' :grumpy:

1. What makes identifying mountains in The Netherlands a challenging adventure?

The Netherlands is known for its flat landscape, so finding mountains can be difficult. Many of the highest points in the country are man-made structures, such as dikes and bridges, rather than natural mountains.

2. How many mountains are there in The Netherlands?

There are no official mountains in The Netherlands. The highest point in the country is Vaalserberg, which stands at 323 meters (1,060 feet) above sea level. However, this is considered a hill rather than a mountain by international standards.

3. How can I identify mountains in The Netherlands?

One way to identify mountains in The Netherlands is by looking for natural features such as steep slopes and rocky terrain. You can also consult topographic maps or use online tools such as Google Earth to search for elevated areas.

4. Are there any famous or notable mountains in The Netherlands?

While there are no official mountains in The Netherlands, there are some notable peaks that are popular among hikers and climbers. These include Vaalserberg, Mount Scenery on the Caribbean island of Saba (which is part of the Netherlands), and the highest point on the Dutch island of Curaçao, Sint Christoffelberg.

5. Why is it important to accurately identify mountains in The Netherlands?

Identifying mountains in The Netherlands can help with research and conservation efforts, as well as providing opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and climbing. It also adds to our understanding of the country's geography and history.

Back