Electromagnetic induction problem

In summary, the direction of current in ring 2 will be opposite to ring 1 when ring 2 moves towards ring 1, and the same direction as ring 1 when ring 2 moves away from ring 1. This is determined by Faraday's law, as the change in the system will induce a current that opposes the change. This was confirmed by comparing the first and last posts in a discussion on Physics Forums.
Xaza

Homework Statement

http://dc10.arabsh.com/i/03594/qn9gr42q192z.png

What is the direction of current in ring 2 if :

a) ring 2 moves towards ring 1
b) ring 2 moves away ring 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Fleming right hand rule but I'm not sure if it is true,

a) the direction same as ring 1
b) the opposite of ring 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the by faradays law the change in the system will induce a current which opposes the change, so when you move the first ring closer, it will produce a current in the opposite direction to loop so that loop 2 is pushed back to its initial position.

And if loop 2 is moved away from loop 1 a current will be produced in the same direction as loop 1 so loop 2 is pull back towards loop 1.

I'm pretty sure that's right

have a look at the first and lasts posts

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=552166

Daniiel said:
So the by faradays law the change in the system will induce a current which opposes the change, so when you move the first ring closer, it will produce a current in the opposite direction to loop so that loop 2 is pushed back to its initial position.

And if loop 2 is moved away from loop 1 a current will be produced in the same direction as loop 1 so loop 2 is pull back towards loop 1.

I'm pretty sure that's right

have a look at the first and lasts posts

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=552166

Thank you very much Daniiel, you helped me alot

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by moving a magnet or a conductor through a magnetic field, or by changing the strength of a magnetic field near a conductor. This creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the conductor.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC when it comes to electromagnetic induction?

In AC (alternating current) induction, the magnetic field and the induced current are constantly changing direction. In DC (direct current) induction, the magnetic field and the induced current are constant. AC induction is used in most household appliances, while DC induction is used in electronic devices.

4. What are some applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including generators, motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging, metal detectors, and MRI machines.

5. What are some common problems with electromagnetic induction?

One common problem with electromagnetic induction is eddy currents, which are currents induced in a conductor that can cause energy loss and heating. Another problem is electromagnetic interference, which can affect electronic devices and communication systems. These problems can be minimized through proper design and shielding.