Solving Equation with Second Derivative

In summary, the conversation is about solving a given equation for x(y) without using differential functions. The participants discuss different approaches and one suggests using quadrature to solve the equation. Another participant suggests using Wolfram Alpha for a solution and provides a link. Finally, the solution is found using two separable first order equations.
Swimmingly!

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation for x(y). (use no differential functions)

dy^{2}.gif

x(0)' and x(0) are known.

Homework Equations

dy^{2}.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit unsure as to what to do next but I can easily make a messy formula up to approximate the result.

2%20\\%20x(y+E)%27\approx%20x(y)%27+%20x(y)%27%27\times%20E%20\end{matrix}\right.gif

k1 and k2 are a constant value.
The bigger E is, the bigger the error. For an infinite recursive use of this formula with an infinitesimal E the right result would be achieved. I don't know what it converges to though.

Any help for this problem or/and similar problems would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does "use no differential functions" mean?

[strike]Why don't you just integrate the whole thing twice, or separate variables?[/strike]

[edit]It was a bit more complex than I thought - never mind the second line there[/edit]

Last edited:
Hi,
the equation does not contain explicit dependency on y, so try multiplying both sides on dx/dy. You'll get a sort of "conservation of energy" for the problem:
(dx/dy)^2/2 + 1/x = const
const depends on the initial conditions. This way you are left with solving 1st order diff equation

CompuChip:
It means that I want something with which I can calculate values directly. I do not want Integrals or Derivatives in my final formula and I think this is very much possible.quZz:
I'm not sure what you mean by explicit but for a given k1, k2 and y there's a single well defined value of x.
Also I'm sorry I'm not very good at handling differentials, I don't even have much practice with calculus. I don't understand how you got that from multiplying the first equation by dx/dy. (assuming that was what you did?)

Last edited:
so you just need an answer, right?

quZz said:
so you just need an answer, right?
I've had my time for solving it alone for fun. But it doesn't look so simple and I am extremely curious as for the answer.

So, yes please.
I'm trying to find an answer but with the proof too. Otherwise I'll just forget it because I won't understand it.
If you could do that, it'd be really nice. Thanks.

try wolframalpha.com...
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?_=1325716343605&i=d^2x%2fdy^2%3d-1%2fx^2&fp=1&incTime=true

Your equation is
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}= x^{-2}[/tex]
As quZz said, y does not appear explictly so you can use "quadrature". let v= dx/dy. Then
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dy^2}= \frac{dv}{dy}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dy}= v\frac{dv}{dx}= x^{-2}[/tex]

That is now a separable first order equation:
[tex]v dv= x^{-2}dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2= -x^{-1}+ C[/tex]

[tex]v^2= 2(C- x^{-1})[/tex]
[tex]v= \frac{dx}{dy}= 2\sqrt{C- x^{-1}}[/tex]
which is also a separable first order equation:
[tex]\frac{dx}{\sqrt{C- x^{-1}}}= 2dy[/tex]

Thanks!
I didn't know how to write second derivatives in Wolfram Alpha and I thought it wouldn't give a proof for such a complex problem.

Anyway thanks a lot. Problem solved.

Edit: There's a slight mistake on the your result by the way, v^2=2*(C-x^-1). It's times 2, not times "2 squared". It was much easier to follow then wolfram though. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the second derivative of an equation?

The second derivative of an equation is the derivative of the derivative. It measures the rate of change of the slope of the original equation.

2. Why is it important to solve equations with second derivatives?

Solving equations with second derivatives can help us find critical points, inflection points, and determine the concavity of a graph. It is important for understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions.

3. How do you solve an equation with second derivative?

To solve an equation with second derivative, you first need to find the first derivative of the equation. Then, take the derivative of the first derivative to find the second derivative. Set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable to find the critical points. Finally, use the second derivative test to determine the concavity and behavior of the function.

4. Can an equation have multiple second derivatives?

Yes, an equation can have multiple second derivatives if it is a higher order function. For example, a third order function would have a second derivative and a third derivative.

5. How can solving equations with second derivatives be applied in real life?

Solving equations with second derivatives can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in predicting the behavior of a system or function and making informed decisions. For example, in economics, second derivatives can be used to determine the maximum profit or loss for a company.