PF going black on January 18th?

• Thread starter Lapidus
  • Start date
In summary, Wikipedia joins the blackout and many people are suffering from the shakes when PF goes down for just half an hour. I'm torn between my opposition to SOPA/PROTECT IP and my need for PF. Greg should not have to shut down PF over a single issue like this. There is no reason, IMO, for PF to hurt itself by shutting down. Many parts of the bill have already been retracted. But if you read the article turbo posted, it too wil be revised.
Lapidus
Is PF participating in the SOPA protests on January the 18th and shut down?

Physics news on Phys.org
English Wikipedia joins the blackout:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

I got an email from Tucows that they join too. But the wikipedia itself is a huge one, that will be difficult to miss to everyone.

Many people were suffering from the shakes when PF goes down for just half an hour. Think of the trauma if it goes "black" for a day!

Oh, the horror!

Zz.

I'm torn between my opposition to SOPA/PROTECT IP and my need for PF.

SOPA seems stalled, but there's still a vote on PROTECT IP, which is just as bad as SOPA.

I too am torn between protesting/raising awareness regarding SOPA and PIPA and having my daily fix of PF...

I personally feel that PF should join the protests against SOPA or PIPA. It will be a very difficult day though :rofl:

I would go for a day with PF in support of the protest.

Can anyone tell me how I download PF onto my computer? :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
I would go for a day with PF in support of the protest.

Can anyone tell me how I download PF onto my computer? :biggrin:
First you need a big bank of servers...

There is no reason, IMO, for PF to hurt itself by shutting down. Many parts of the bill have already been retracted.

Evo said:
There is no reason, IMO, for PF to hurt itself by shutting down. Many parts of the bill have already been retracted.

We can do less drastic things, like closing down the philosophy forum. Maybe we'll have luck and Greg forgets opening it up again after the 18th... :biggrin:

Greg should not have to shut down PF over a single issue like this. For one thing, his compensation for ad-space might be subject to maintaining XYZ level of access and up-time. We don't know that. Business is not always really transparent to the customers.

turbo said:
Greg should not have to shut down PF over a single issue like this. For one thing, his compensation for ad-space might be subject to maintaining XYZ level of access and up-time. We don't know that. Business is not always really transparent to the customers.

I'd rather highlight the great loss PF downtime would have on our student visitors :)

Can we at least have some announcement on top of the forum declaring that we're against SOPA??

It's okay everyone, you can all just use Google Cache's PhysicsForums

I am strongly against this bill. I say we can blackout the site or atleast put something noticeable on the home page regarding SOPA and PIPA (like what Google is doing). If we do blackout the site, I say we have a chat day in chatzy! This bill cannot simply be ignored by PF.

@Evo: Even though most of the criticized provisions are taken out, the bill in general still needs much more work to be done to fix the bill and pass the law.

Edit: Grammar fail...

Last edited:
Evo said:
Many parts of the bill have already been retracted.

DNS filtering has not yet been removed from PIPA.

jhae2.718 said:
DNS filtering has not yet been removed from PIPA.
But if you read the article turbo posted, it too wil be revised.
In the Senate, a vote on PIPA is still scheduled for Jan. 24, but it's a procedural matter (a Senate staffer, asking not to be named, said it's "on whether to debate debating the bill"). Sen. Patrick Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who was one of the original sponsors, has said he would like to amend the bill.

"I will … propose that the positive and negative effects of this provision be studied before implemented, so that we can focus on the other important provisions in this bill," Leahy said, "which are essential to protecting American intellectual property online, and the American jobs that are tied to intellectual property."

Evo said:
But if you read the article turbo posted, it too wil be revised.

Please, allow me to be pedantic. :biggrin:

micromass said:
I personally feel that PF should join the protests against SOPA or PIPA. It will be a very difficult day though :rofl:
Yeah micro, you will have to set up mutiple chatz chat rooms to keep things rolling, better get started harvesting those real e-mail addresses now, lol.

Rhody... :devil:

Ivan92 said:
I am strongly against this bill. I say we can blackout the site or atleast put something noticeable on the home page regarding SOPA and PIPA (like what Google is doing). If we do blackout the site, I say we have a chat day in chatzy! This bill cannot simply be ignored by PF.

@Evo: Even though most of the criticized provisions are taken out, the bill in general still needs much more work to be done to fix the bill and pass the law.

Edit: Grammar fail...
I have one better Ivan, have Greg turn the background black with bold white lettering that way I can appreciate my partial grapheme color synesthesia, (all the letters turn light pink and green, depending on the letter being drawn). I can live with that, I think...

Rhody... :tongue:

2kqzy8.png

rhody said:
I have one better Ivan, have Greg turn the background black with bold white lettering that way I can appreciate my partial grapheme color synesthesia, (all the letters turn light pink and green, depending on the letter being drawn). I can live with that, I think...

Rhody... :tongue:
Whatever makes you happy rhody! x) haha

I noticed the Notices on the top of the page! Good stuff Greg! :D

You don't want to know what pipa means in Polish.

Borek said:
You don't want to know what pipa means in Polish.
Probably the same as pipple (sp) in Latvian.

1. What is "PF going black on January 18th"?

"PF going black on January 18th" refers to the planned blackout protest by the popular online community platform, Patreon, on January 18th. This protest is aimed at raising awareness and advocating for change in the way the platform handles content moderation and user support.

2. Why is Patreon going black on January 18th?

Patreon is going black on January 18th as a form of protest against perceived censorship and lack of support for its content creators. The platform has faced criticism for its handling of controversial content and lack of transparency in its policies.

3. Will Patreon be completely inaccessible on January 18th?

No, Patreon will not be completely inaccessible during the blackout protest. The platform will still be accessible for users to view and pledge to content creators, but there will be no new content posted and no support services available.

4. How long will the blackout protest last?

The blackout protest is scheduled to last for 24 hours on January 18th. However, it is possible that it may be extended if the platform's demands are not met.

5. What changes is Patreon hoping to achieve with this protest?

Patreon is hoping to achieve changes in its content moderation policies and user support services. The platform is advocating for more transparency, consistency, and fairness in its policies, as well as better support for its content creators.