Question about PDE solution

• Thread starter vibe3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the spherical harmonic approach is a more elegant and natural way to solve this equation than the method of characteristics. However, I am still solving the equation numerically on a 3D grid.
vibe3
I am trying to solve the following equation in spherical coordinates:
[tex]
\left( \nabla f \right) \cdot \vec{B} = g
[/tex]
where [itex]g[/itex] is a known scalar function, [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is a known vector field, and [itex]f[/itex] is the unknown function.

I think the best way to approach this is to expand everything into a spherical harmonic basis:
[tex]
f(r,\theta,\phi) = \sum_{lm} f_{lm}(r) Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)
[/tex]
[tex]
g(r,\theta,\phi) = \sum_{lm} g_{lm}(r) Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)
[/tex]
[tex]
\vec{B}(r,\theta,\phi) = \sum_{lm} \left[ B_{lm}^r(r) \vec{Y}_{lm} + B_{lm}^{(1)} \vec{\Psi}_{lm} + B_{lm}^{(2)} \vec{\Phi}_{lm} \right]
[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{Y}_{lm}, \vec{\Psi}_{lm}, \vec{\Phi}_{lm}[/itex] are the vector spherical harmonics (VSH) defined here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_spherical_harmonics
Then, to evaluate the dot product between [itex]\nabla f[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex], it is necessary to integrate over the unit sphere since the VSH orthogonality relations are defined in terms of integrals over [itex]d\Omega[/itex].

So, integrating the original equation over [itex]d\Omega[/itex] will yield the following ODE equation for the unknown [itex]f_{lm}(r)[/itex]:
[tex]
B_{lm}^r(r) \frac{d}{dr} f_{lm}(r) + \frac{l(l+1)}{r} B_{lm}^{(1)}(r) f_{lm}(r) = c_{lm} g_{lm}(r)
[/tex]
with
[tex]
c_{lm} = \int d\Omega Y_{lm} e^{-im\phi}
[/tex]

This ODE should be straightforward to solve numerically. However, my question is the ODE equation will determine [itex]f_{lm}[/itex] values which satisfy the equation:
[tex]
\int d\Omega \left( \nabla f \right) \cdot \vec{B} = \int d\Omega g
[/tex]

Is it true that these [itex]f_{lm}[/itex] will also satisfy the original equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
My first choice of solution method would be method of characteristics, take a 2D case and you can easily see how this works and you can generalise to 3D case.

Yes its true that the method of characteristics could work, however I am solving this equation numerically on a 3D grid in spherical coordinates. Integrating along characteristic curves would add complexity in that I'd have to pick lots of different starting points for the integration to get a decent grid of solutions, and then interpolate those solutions back to a spherical grid.

I think the spherical harmonic approach is more elegant and natural for this problem...if only the method I've described above is sound.

Every time you separate your variables, the resulting functions satisfy the original equations on their own only under special conditions (the obvious one being the other function being equal to 1). As far as I know, it is not something you can generalise.

Yes, it is true that the solutions for f_{lm} obtained from solving the ODE equation will also satisfy the original equation. This is because the ODE equation is derived from the original equation through integration over the unit sphere, and the VSH basis functions used in the expansion of f, g, and \vec{B} are orthogonal and complete, meaning that any function can be represented as a linear combination of these basis functions. Therefore, the solutions obtained through the ODE equation will satisfy the original equation in terms of the VSH basis functions.

1. What is a PDE solution?

A PDE solution refers to the solution of a partial differential equation (PDE), which is an equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. In scientific terms, a PDE solution is a mathematical function that satisfies the given PDE and its corresponding boundary conditions.

2. Why are PDE solutions important?

PDE solutions are important because they help us understand and model complex physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also play a crucial role in mathematical analysis and the development of numerical methods for solving real-world problems.

3. What are the different types of PDE solutions?

There are several types of PDE solutions, including explicit solutions, implicit solutions, numerical solutions, and approximate solutions. Explicit solutions can be written in terms of the independent variables, while implicit solutions cannot. Numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using computational methods, and approximate solutions are approximations of the exact solution.

4. How are PDE solutions obtained?

PDE solutions can be obtained through various methods, such as separation of variables, the method of characteristics, Fourier series, and numerical techniques. The method used to obtain the solution depends on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions.

5. What is the difference between PDE solutions and ODE solutions?

ODE (ordinary differential equation) solutions involve only one independent variable, while PDE solutions involve multiple independent variables. This makes PDE solutions more complex and challenging to obtain compared to ODE solutions. Additionally, PDE solutions often require boundary conditions, while ODE solutions may not.