What inspired a successful CG animator to pursue a life in physics?

• Thread starter Dr.Noodles
  • Start date
Dr.Noodles
Hey guys and girls,

A friend of mine told me about this forum and I decided I'd sign up and introduce myself.

Hi! My name is Shannon. I'm a 30 year old man from beautiful Melbourne, Australia.

I've always been generally fascinated by physics, but a short while ago I decided that I would leave my successful career as a CG feature film animator (most recently I worked on "Happy Feet Two") and pursue a life in Physics!

I've gone back to do my VCE (our year 12 schooling which we do right before university) with a focus on physics and mathematics. I hope to get into Melbourne University (arguably the best uni in Australia) and study a http://tiny.cc/t3kgi. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun and rewarding.

Over the next 5 years or so that I'll be studying, I hope to find myself at home in this forum.

Nice to meet you all, see you in the forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr.Noodles said:
Hey guys and girls,

A friend of mine told me about this forum and I decided I'd sign up and introduce myself.

Hi! My name is Shannon. I'm a 30 year old man from beautiful Melbourne, Australia.

I've always been generally fascinated by physics, but a short while ago I decided that I would leave my successful career as a CG feature film animator (most recently I worked on "Happy Feet Two") and pursue a life in Physics!

I've gone back to do my VCE (our year 12 schooling which we do right before university) with a focus on physics and mathematics. I hope to get into Melbourne University (arguably the best uni in Australia) and study a http://tiny.cc/t3kgi. So far I'm finding it incredibly fun and rewarding.

Over the next 5 years or so that I'll be studying, I hope to find myself at home in this forum.

Nice to meet you all, see you in the forums.
Hi and welcome. I notice that you haven't put anything in your profile. You might do that as it might help people who might be apprehensive about replying to your posts to decide whether or not to reply to your posts.

There are a number of physics professionals and other various Phds at PF. Hopefully you'll get into some interesting discussions at PF.

Welcome to the Forums Shannon! Good luck going back to school :smile:

Your introduction was faulty at one minor point, Shannon:

You didn't mention your favourite fish??

Welcome to the forums Shannon! You'll definitely going to feel like you're at home here. :smile:

But we really need to know your favorite fish? :biggrin:

Welcome Shannon! I'm sure you'll feel at home here!

So... are you fond of a special kind of fish perhaps??

Welcome to Physics Forums Shannon. Your introduction post should be an inspiration to anyone wanting to return to school.

1. What made you want to transition from CG animation to physics?

I have always been fascinated by the laws of the universe and the inner workings of the world around us. While CG animation allowed me to create visually stunning worlds and characters, I felt a deep curiosity and desire to understand the science behind it all. This ultimately led me to pursue a career in physics.

2. How has your background in CG animation helped you in your studies of physics?

CG animation requires a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer science. These skills have been incredibly useful in my studies of physics, as I am able to apply my knowledge of 3D modeling, animation, and coding to complex scientific concepts and simulations.

3. What challenges have you faced in transitioning from CG animation to physics?

The biggest challenge for me was learning the complex mathematical and theoretical concepts involved in physics. Coming from a more visual and creative background, it took some time for me to adjust to the rigorous and technical nature of physics. However, my passion for the subject and determination to learn helped me overcome these challenges.

4. How do you balance your interests in both CG animation and physics?

I believe that both fields require a balance of creativity and technical skills. While my focus may be on physics at the moment, I still enjoy using my CG animation skills to create visual representations of scientific concepts. I also find that my background in CG animation helps me think outside the box and approach physics problems in a unique way.

5. What advice would you give to someone interested in pursuing both CG animation and physics?

My advice would be to never give up on your passions and to find ways to combine them. While it may seem like an unconventional combination, the skills and knowledge gained from both fields can complement each other and lead to exciting and innovative projects. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out resources to improve your skills in both areas.