Are old theoretical texts worth saving?

In summary, many old books can be valuable, but it is difficult to know from a general description. You should either find a library that wants them, or talk to a 2nd-hand bookstore that specializes in technical books.
carlz0
I am probably in the same boat as a bunch of people. My father passed away and had a ton of texts. He was a PhD/expert in Heat Transfer, Fluid dynamics and Nuclear Engineering.

There are some good theoretical engineering,physics,math books from the 30's 40's and 50's, some of which might still be useful to someone. He made a purge of them in the past 15 years getting rid of many of the obsolete ones. I basically don't want to dump the whole lot into the recycling.

Can anyone think of a place to dump these that someone might be able to pick out the gems, or is it not worth my effort.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe give them to a library or used book store

You could also contact your local university's physics department - some of the grad students there might take them off your hands.

carlz0 said:
Can anyone think of a place to dump these...

Many old books can be priceless, but it is difficult for us to know from a general description. Your best bet would be to either find a library that wants them, or talk to a 2nd-hand bookstore that specializes in technical books.

I guarantee that someone will be interested in them, even if they aren't worth a lot of money in bulk. Whatever you do, don't just dump them in the recycling.

the value of a book is proportional to the quality of the author, and has nothing at all to do with the date of publication.

I'm actually quite enthusiastic about collecting older texts. If I inherited such a collection, I would certainly keep as much of it as possible.

I find that some older texts are all around better and are easier to learn from (I prefer a style with less colour, graphics, blabber--straight to the point). Of course some books go out of date, but math and 'general' physics, remain basically unchanged.

here is a quote from Arnol'd:

"The "obsolete" course by Hermite of one hundred years ago (probably, now thrown away from student libraries of French universities) was much more modern than those most boring calculus textbooks with which students are nowadays tormented."and here is the full essay:

http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/~munsteg/arnold.html

Likes yucheng
If you are in MA, USA ... I will pick them up :smile:

• Haha
Likes yucheng
If you're near Toronto, I'll pick them up:)

• Haha
Likes yucheng

1. What is the value of preserving old theoretical texts?

Preserving old theoretical texts allows us to understand the development of scientific ideas and theories over time. These texts provide valuable insights into the thought processes and methodologies of scientists in the past, which can help inform and improve current research.

2. How do old theoretical texts compare to modern scientific literature?

Old theoretical texts may differ in language, format, and scientific understanding compared to modern literature. However, they offer a unique perspective and historical context that can enrich our understanding of scientific concepts.

3. Are there any limitations to using old theoretical texts in current research?

While old theoretical texts can offer valuable insights, it is important to recognize that scientific knowledge and understanding have evolved over time. Therefore, these texts should be used in conjunction with more current research to avoid outdated or inaccurate information.

4. How can preserving old theoretical texts benefit future generations?

Preserving old theoretical texts ensures that the knowledge and discoveries of past scientists are not lost. This allows future generations to build upon these foundations and continue expanding scientific understanding for years to come.

5. How can we ensure the preservation of old theoretical texts?

Preserving old theoretical texts requires a combined effort from scientists, archivists, and institutions. Digitization, proper storage, and conservation techniques can help protect these texts from deterioration and make them more accessible for future use.