Parallel Transport on a sphere

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two differential equations and the attempts made by Mike to solve it. He was able to solve the problem partially but had trouble with direct integration. The solution is provided in the form of using the method of separation of variables.
Mike706

Homework Statement

See attached picture of the problem.

Homework Equations

See attached picture of the pair of diff equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve the problem up to the point the picture gets to. However, the author says he obtained this by integrating. I couldn't figure out how to do this by direct integration, so I modified the pair of equations into two 2nd order ODE's, each of one function, and solved them.

Is there a way to directly integrate these equations? I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when I hear the answer. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Attachments

• problem - 1.png
    problem - 1.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 474
  • diff eq's.png
    diff eq's.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have made good progress so far. To directly integrate these equations, you will need to use the method of separation of variables. This method involves isolating the variables on opposite sides of the equation and integrating each side separately.

For the first equation, you can write it as:

dy/dx = (1/2)y

To solve this, you can separate the variables by dividing both sides by y and multiplying both sides by dx:

dy/y = (1/2)dx

Integrating both sides will give you:

ln|y| = (1/2)x + C

Where C is a constant of integration. You can then solve for y by taking the exponential of both sides:

y = e^(1/2)x + C

You can follow a similar process for the second equation and solve for z. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is parallel transport on a sphere?

Parallel transport on a sphere is a mathematical concept that describes how a vector or object can be moved along a curved surface, such as a sphere, while maintaining its direction. It involves finding the shortest path between two points on the surface while keeping the vector parallel to itself.

2. How is parallel transport different on a sphere compared to a flat surface?

On a flat surface, parallel transport is fairly straightforward as the shortest path between two points is a straight line. However, on a sphere, the shortest path is a curved line, making parallel transport more complex. This is due to the intrinsic curvature of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of parallel transport on a sphere?

Parallel transport on a sphere has many applications in fields such as physics, geometry, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of objects moving on a curved surface and is essential in calculating quantities such as curvature and geodesics.

4. How is parallel transport calculated on a sphere?

To calculate parallel transport on a sphere, one must use the concept of a connection, also known as a covariant derivative. This involves taking into account the curvature of the surface and the direction of the vector to determine the unique path that maintains parallelism.

5. Are there any real-life examples of parallel transport on a sphere?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of parallel transport on a sphere. For instance, it is used in navigation and understanding the movement of objects in the Earth's atmosphere. It also plays a role in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.