Finding a Solution to Obtain a Foam Ball with Restrictions

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the group is working on a project that involves obtaining a foam ball from a cup on the opposite side of a ping pong table. The ball is spherical and 4" in diameter, and must not be damaged in the process. The device used must weigh less than 1lb and cannot involve a grabbing mechanism. Ideas such as using a vacuum, velcro, or static electricity have been considered, but may not be practical. The group is also considering using a spring mechanism or a forklift-like appendage to pick up the ball. Suggestions such as flypaper or glue traps have been mentioned, but there is concern about damaging the ball. The group is also competing in a competition and speed is important.
pyroknife
Part of a project I'm doing requires obtaining a foam ball from a cup. The foam ball is spherically shaped and is 4" diameter. You cannot damage the ball. There are a lot of restrictions, but most designs will not violate them so I will not list them. One requirement however is that our device weigh no more than 1lb. Obtaining the ball will only be part of this device so the actual weight of whatever we use to get the ball must be much less than 1lb.

I'm a bit stuck on how to accomplish this task. I'm trying to avoid a grabbing mechanism which would involve more weight and some programming to grab the ball.
Instead I'm leaning more to some attraction device such as a vacuum, velcro, or static electricity. The vacuum does not seem practical though. Velcro doesn't seem to stick to the foam ball. Static electricity would be hard to generate in this project and it doesn't seem to work very well.

The whole project is just you must build a device that starts at one end of a ping pong table and you must get the ball that is located on the opposite side of the ping pong table and bring it back and hit a button. In the middle where the net used to be, there is fixture that we have to climb over.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to obtain the foam ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sitting here stuck on this, only one idea:

It's foam, maybe pinching would work. Rig up a light spring and release it to pinch the ball to pick it up. Think plastic chip bag clip. I'm not sure if you have to raise the ball too, but if the ball is light enough, you could have the spring help with that too in some way.

Is the ball rattling around in the cup with plenty of space all around it, or is it a tight fit?

BeBattey said:
Sitting here stuck on this, only one idea:

It's foam, maybe pinching would work. Rig up a light spring and release it to pinch the ball to pick it up. Think plastic chip bag clip. I'm not sure if you have to raise the ball too, but if the ball is light enough, you could have the spring help with that too in some way.
The ball is very light. We just have to grab it and return to the starting place. I attached a picture of the ping pong table.
I'm trying to avoid using a grabbing mechanism, but that is probably the best way to go. This would involve programming which could get annoying.
NascentOxygen said:
Is the ball rattling around in the cup with plenty of space all around it, or is it a tight fit?

I don't know the exact details, but the ball is sitting on top of a cup. My friend said about 2/3 of the ball is sticking out of the cup.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9 KB · Views: 497
So upending the cup will not be a feasible method if the ball is stuck, even slightly. Clasping below its midriff sounds a possibility then?

It is difficult to solve a puzzle if you don't know the specifics.

NascentOxygen said:
Clasping below its midriff sounds a possibility then?
When you mentioned the ball is 2/3rds exposed, this is what I thought too.

You don't need to grab it. What would be wrong with a forklift-like appendage?

NascentOxygen said:
So upending the cup will not be a feasible method if the ball is stuck, even slightly. Clasping below its midriff sounds a possibility then?

It is difficult to solve a puzzle if you don't know the specifics.

DaveC426913 said:
When you mentioned the ball is 2/3rds exposed, this is what I thought too.

You don't need to grab it. What would be wrong with a forklift-like appendage?

I forgot to mention this is a competition, so speed is very important. Sorry for leaving that out. Reaching the ends of the ping pong table will be cake for my group's device. We're using a motor that generates 1100rpm. We had to use gear reduction to make it slower. At this present rate it could reach one end of the table in probably about 1/3 of a second.
I haven't seen the ping pong table they built and the information they gave did not say anything about the cup. I think the container holding the foam ball is fixed to the table.

I would really like to use some very sticky adhesive like tape. But it must not damage the ball and it must be strong enough so the ball does not fall. Does anyone have any clue what could be used?

pyroknife said:
I would really like to use some very sticky adhesive like tape. But it must not damage the ball and it must be strong enough so the ball does not fall. Does anyone have any clue what could be used?
Flypaper? Unless there is a requirement that you must release the ball at some stage.
jm82g.gif

Caution: the organisers could confound the use of sticky stuff my putting a powder coating on the ball.

Paper mousetrap. Though that might be so sticky it damages the ball.

NascentOxygen said:
Flypaper? Unless there is a requirement that you must release the ball at some stage.
jm82g.gif

Caution: the organisers could confound the use of sticky stuff my putting a powder coating on the ball.
I'm pretty sure they won't change anything about the foam ball.
I've heard of flypaper, but I've never seen or used it before. I just googled it, but the information was not helpful. Is it very sticky?
DaveC426913 said:
Paper mousetrap. Though that might be so sticky it damages the ball.

Paper mousetrap? Can you elaborate?

Also another reason why I want to avoid a grabbing mechanism is that the chance it could miss the ball.

Thanks guys.

Never seen flypaper or glue traps? You must be very sheltered! :P

Both of these work by being extremely sticky. Glue mouse traps are sticky enough to, well, trap a mouse. You can certainly pick the ball up using it, but as others mentioned, you risk damaging the ball and would need a secondary device to remove the ball from the glue.

Do you need to drop the ball at the end? Also, do you have the full rules text? I am now intrigued.

Decimator said:
Never seen flypaper or glue traps? You must be very sheltered! :P

Both of these work by being extremely sticky. Glue mouse traps are sticky enough to, well, trap a mouse. You can certainly pick the ball up using it, but as others mentioned, you risk damaging the ball and would need a secondary device to remove the ball from the glue.

Do you need to drop the ball at the end? Also, do you have the full rules text? I am now intrigued.

We do not need to drop the ball. Looks like we can't use adhesives as it might damage the ball or leave a stain on it. I'll private message you the project write up.

pyroknife said:
Paper mousetrap? Can you elaborate?
More commonly called a glue trap. And they are extremely sticky.

(Very interested to know how this went down!)

What is a foam ball with restrictions?

A foam ball with restrictions is a type of foam ball that has certain limitations or constraints on its design, size, or materials used. These restrictions could be based on safety concerns, specific uses, or regulations set by governing bodies.

Why is finding a solution to obtain a foam ball with restrictions important?

Finding a solution to obtain a foam ball with restrictions is important because it allows for the creation of a safer and more suitable foam ball for specific purposes or environments. It ensures that the foam ball meets all necessary requirements and can be used without any potential hazards or issues.

What are some common restrictions for foam balls?

Common restrictions for foam balls include size limitations, weight limitations, material restrictions, and safety regulations. For example, foam balls used for sports may have specific size and weight restrictions to ensure fair gameplay and reduce the risk of injury.

How can a scientist approach finding a solution for obtaining a foam ball with restrictions?

A scientist can approach finding a solution for obtaining a foam ball with restrictions by first thoroughly researching the restrictions and their reasons. Then, they can experiment with different materials and designs to meet the restrictions while still maintaining the desired properties of a foam ball, such as durability and bounce.

Are there any alternative solutions to obtaining a foam ball with restrictions?

Yes, there may be alternative solutions to obtaining a foam ball with restrictions. These could include using a different type of ball or exploring new materials and technologies that can meet the restrictions while still providing similar properties to a foam ball, such as softness and flexibility.