Theoretical physics Graduate courses - is it all string theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the current scope for doing a PhD in theoretical physics without focusing on string theory. It is stated that while there was a time where 90% of theoretical physicists were string theorists, nowadays the majority are not. The conversation also touches on the idea that young physicists may feel constrained to work on string theory in order to secure a job, but it is possible to pursue other areas of theoretical physics. Ultimately, the decision to focus on a popular area to increase job prospects or follow personal interests is a personal one with its own trade-offs.
notlobzil
Hi,

I was wondering what the scope is these days to do a PhD in theoretical physics, but without delving into string theory? Is the world of theoretical physics still very much dominanated by string theory, or can young physicists go down alternative routes? I seem to remember that some years ago, about 90% of theoretical physics PhDs were all on string theory - is it a similar story today?

If so, does anyone find this very restrictive? What if you want to look into different theories of everything? Where can you go? Or do you have to fall in step with string theorists?

I would love to get some more information on this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to imagine that there ever was a time where 90% of theoretical physicists were string theorists. Did you get that impression from actual university contact or from reading semi-popular science sources?

90+% of theoretical physicists are non-stringers nowadays. In fact, the only theoretical physicists that are suspect of having contact with string theory are particle physicists, astrophysicists, and mathematical physicists. Those fields only make up a minority of theoretical physicists - and only a minority of them do string theory.

I suppose what I mean is whether young physicists have the freedom to look into "theories of everything" other than string theory. I know that there were people like Garrett Lisi who wanted to continue academia after his PhD, but felt they couldn't step in line with the string theorists and they weren't given the freedom to look into other theories, or come up with their own. And I wonder if the same is true today? Or is there more scope for young physicists to look into TOE without having to fall in line with the stringers.

notlobzil said:
What if you want to look into different theories of everything?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this sounds like you believe that all theoretical physicists are looking for a theory of everything. This is not the case at all. Just pick a random university and check the website of their theoretical physics department to get an idea of the variety of topics being researched.

Anyway, there is lots of theoretical physics to be done without getting anywhere near string theory.

You aren't reading it wrong - I initially worded it all very badly!

I am only interested in the TEO theoretical physicists - sorry for the confusion!

Very few people are working on a TOE, and there's very little funding for it. It's not really a problem you can jump in at that end - the solution. You need to hit it somewhere else, like learning more about particle physics, etc. What you're saying is 'I want to solve the ultimate problem of everything', which simply isn't going to fly for an employer or grant committee. You'll very likely spend your entire career never really accomplishing anything, which doesn't make you a very attractive employee. Find something specific to focus on, something that you can actually make headway on, publish papers about, and involve students, and you'll have a shot at a job as long as you're doing solid science. You can certainly think about you work in terms of applications to a TOE, but not just that.

The vast majority of new academics hired in theoretical high energy physics in the nineties and into the noughties were string theorists. These days, not so much. Now, as then, if you want to increase your chances of landing a job, best to go with the crowd and try to make progress in a popular area, under a successful advisor. But, if you want to increase your chances of figuring out something new and cool about the universe, it's best to follow your own interests, wherever they take you. Freedom isn't something you get, it's something you have to choose for yourself, always with a cost. Personally, if I'd cared about getting a job, I wouldn't have gone into physics.

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a subfield of physics that uses mathematical models and concepts to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems, without necessarily performing experiments. It often involves studying fundamental concepts such as energy, matter, space, and time.

2. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile general relativity (which describes the behavior of large-scale objects) with quantum mechanics (which describes the behavior of subatomic particles). It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

3. Are all theoretical physics graduate courses focused on string theory?

No, string theory is just one of many theoretical approaches to understanding the fundamental laws of physics. Other areas of theoretical physics include quantum field theory, general relativity, and cosmology, among others. Students in graduate-level theoretical physics programs often have the opportunity to explore multiple areas of study and can choose to specialize in their particular interests.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking theoretical physics graduate courses?

Yes, most theoretical physics graduate programs require students to have a strong background in mathematics, including advanced calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require coursework in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It is important to check with individual programs for their specific prerequisites.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of theoretical physics programs?

Graduates of theoretical physics programs have a wide range of career options, including research positions in academia, government, and private industry. Some may also pursue careers in science communication, teaching, or data analysis. The skills acquired in theoretical physics programs, such as problem-solving and analytical thinking, are highly valued in a variety of industries.