Oxidation states of transition metals when reactions occur

In summary: Oxidation state is not a fundamental property of atoms but in fact little more than a mnemotechnics to balance equations.
sgstudent
When metals such as sodium react with an acid, a salt and hydrogen gas is produced. and we know for sure the oxidation state of sodium in the compound will be +1. But for other metals such as iron, when they rest with acids which oxidation state do I use? I'm unsure if I'm supposed to use the lowest oxidation first as when iron reacts with an acid its oxidation state is +2 first. But for other metals which one do I use first such as copper?

Thanks for. The help guys! :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is no simple answer to that other than "use standard potentials table" (but I think even then you can be wrong in some specific cases).

If there is nothing else present (that is, the only oxidizing agent is H+) iron gets oxidized to Fe(II), as E0 for Fe(II)/Fe(III) oxidation is way too high.

From the same table you can read copper doesn't dissolve in non-oxidizing acids, so the question about products is a moot.

Borek said:
There is no simple answer to that other than "use standard potentials table" (but I think even then you can be wrong in some specific cases).

If there is nothing else present (that is, the only oxidizing agent is H+) iron gets oxidized to Fe(II), as E0 for Fe(II)/Fe(III) oxidation is way too high.

From the same table you can read copper doesn't dissolve in non-oxidizing acids, so the question about products is a moot.

So for most of the stuff there's no real rule to follow rather its based on empirical data? Thanks for the help Borek!

sgstudent said:
So for most of the stuff there's no real rule to follow rather its based on empirical data?

Rules are made up from the empirical data, after all it is reality that defines what happens, not rules that we invent.

sgstudent said:
So for most of the stuff there's no real rule to follow rather its based on empirical data? Thanks for the help Borek!

Oxidation state is not a fundamental property of atoms but in fact little more than a mnemotechnics to balance equations. It is quite astonishing that it can be used to systematize to some extent chemical compounds but one should be aware of its limitations.

1. What is meant by "oxidation state" of transition metals?

The oxidation state of a transition metal refers to the number of electrons that the metal has lost or gained in a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the metal's ability to undergo oxidation or reduction reactions.

2. How do you determine the oxidation state of a transition metal?

The oxidation state of a transition metal can be determined by considering the overall charge of the compound and the known oxidation states of other elements present. The rules for assigning oxidation states can vary, but typically the more electronegative element is assigned a negative oxidation state and the less electronegative element is assigned a positive oxidation state.

3. Why do transition metals have variable oxidation states?

Transition metals have variable oxidation states because of their unique electron configurations. They have partially filled d orbitals, which allows them to easily lose or gain electrons in chemical reactions, resulting in different oxidation states.

4. How do transition metals behave in redox reactions?

In redox reactions, transition metals can act as both oxidizing agents and reducing agents. This is because they can easily gain or lose electrons due to their variable oxidation states. They also often form colored compounds, making them useful as indicators in redox reactions.

5. How do the oxidation states of transition metals affect their chemical properties?

The oxidation states of transition metals can greatly influence their chemical properties. For example, a higher oxidation state may indicate a more reactive metal, while a lower oxidation state may indicate a more stable metal. The oxidation state can also determine the type of chemical reactions a transition metal is likely to undergo.