Register to reply

Relation b/w elctrical resistance and stress-strain

Share this thread:
ank160
Jan5-13, 04:17 AM
P: 21
Hey All!!

My question is regrading a subtle observation that i made when i was straing at my "spring coil type" room heater. Accidently i pulled up some stands of heating coil spring to make them straight section (obviuosly when it was switched off). Then, when i passed current through it, after some time, i found that the straight section's color was less "red hot" than the other part of spring.

Does it has anything to do with change in electrical resistance with stress-strain.

Please explain.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
AlephZero
Jan5-13, 12:54 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,172
More likely, this is because there is more cooling air flow around the length of straight wire than around the same length of "coiled up" wire.
ank160
Jan6-13, 08:35 PM
P: 21
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
More likely, this is because there is more cooling air flow around the length of straight wire than around the same length of "coiled up" wire.
Thanks for the explaination.

Register to reply