Most Probable Speed - Atoms From An Oven

In summary, to find the most probable speed of atoms ejected from an oven with a temperature of 900°C and aluminium as the material, use the formula vmp=√(2kT/m) with the Boltzmann constant k = 1.38e-23 J/K and the mass of one molecule as 0.027/6.022e23 kg. This will result in a velocity of "hundreds of m/s".
bobbles22
Hi there,

I'm looking to find the most probable speed of atoms ejected from an oven.

Temp (T) is 900°C (so 1173.15K).

The material is aluminium with molar mass 0.027kg mol-1

I've got the formula vmp=√(2kT/m)

I'm fine with everything above, but I'm not sure what value to use as the Boltzmann constant k.

Can anyone please help me here? Do I have the right equation and what value for the constant should I use (sounds silly, but it changes depending upon units. I've tried a couple but get silly tiny speeds out. I think I should expect something in the region of a few hundred metres per second).

Many thanks

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
In SI units:
K = 1.38e-23 J/K
m = mass of one molecule = 0.027/6.022e23 kg
T = 1173 K

... which gives a velocity of "hundreds of m/s" as you expected.

What is the most probable speed of atoms from an oven?

The most probable speed of atoms from an oven refers to the speed at which the majority of atoms will be moving when they are emitted from the oven. This speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and can vary depending on the type of atoms and the temperature of the oven.

How is the most probable speed of atoms calculated?

The most probable speed of atoms is calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the mass and temperature of the atoms. This distribution gives a probability density function that shows the most likely speed of the atoms in a given sample.

What factors can affect the most probable speed of atoms from an oven?

The most probable speed of atoms can be affected by various factors, such as the type of atoms, the temperature of the oven, and the presence of any external forces or fields. Additionally, the size and shape of the oven can also play a role in the speed of atoms emitted from it.

Why is understanding the most probable speed of atoms important?

Understanding the most probable speed of atoms is important in various fields of science, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics. It can help in predicting the behavior of atoms in different environments and can also be used in practical applications, such as in the design of industrial ovens or in the study of gas dynamics.

Can the most probable speed of atoms be measured?

Yes, the most probable speed of atoms can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, laser-induced fluorescence, and velocity distribution measurements. These methods allow scientists to accurately determine the speed of atoms and study how it changes under different conditions.