Curl and its relation to line integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the component of curl/line integral relation and how it is defined. The formal definition of curl is given as a line integral and the question is raised about how this definition changes when different unit vectors are used. The expert clarifies that while the given definition is not the standard one, it is equivalent and potentially more intuitive.
member 428835
hey all

i know and understand the component of curl/line integral relation as: [tex]curlF\cdot u=\lim_{A(C)\to0}\frac{1}{A(C)} \oint_C F\cdot dr[/tex] where we have vector field [itex]F[/itex], [itex]A(C)[/itex] is the area of a closed boundary, [itex]u[/itex] is an arbitrary unit vector, [itex]dr[/itex] is an infinitely small piece of curve [itex]C[/itex]

my question is, how does this definition change if i have, say [itex]curlF\cdot {x}[/itex] versus [itex]curlF\cdot {z}[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are the unit vectors in the standard cartesian system.

thanks for the feedback! you guys/girls are amazing!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. First what "definition" are you talking about? The formula you give is not a definition. Second, you are given a formula for [itex]curl F\cdot u[/itex] where u can be any unit vector- but there is no reference to c on the right side- they cannot be equal. Did you mean that u is the unit vector perpendicular to the plane of C? But you did not require that C be a planar curve.

HallsofIvy said:
First what "definition" are you talking about? The formula you give is not a definition.
I read information about this on a vector analysis course page by the university of minnesota, where they said the line integral above was the way one formally defines curl. is this incorrect?

HallsofIvy said:
Second, you are given a formula for [itex]curl F\cdot u[/itex] where u can be any unit vector- but there is no reference to c on the right side- they cannot be equal. Did you mean that u is the unit vector perpendicular to the plane of C? But you did not require that C be a planar curve.
yes, apologies here. [itex]C[/itex] is a planar closed curve around some point in space orthogonal to [itex]u[/itex]

joshmccraney said:
I read information about this on a vector analysis course page by the university of minnesota, where they said the line integral above was the way one formally defines curl. is this incorrect?

It's not really incorrect, since it's equivalent to the usual definition (if everything is smooth enough). But it's not the standard definition. Usually textbooks defines curl totally differently. The standard definition is: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/CurlDivergence.aspx

I actually do like your limit definition better since it is way more intuitive.

The definition of curl and its relation to line integrals does not change if you have different unit vectors such as x and z in the standard cartesian system. The key concept here is that curl is a measure of the rotation or circulation of a vector field, and it is independent of the coordinate system being used. Therefore, the same formula and definition will apply regardless of the unit vectors chosen. The only difference may be in the direction of the resulting vector, but the magnitude and overall concept will remain the same.

1. What is curl and how is it related to line integrals?

Curl is a vector operation that measures the rotation of a vector field at a given point. It is related to line integrals through Stokes' Theorem, which states that the line integral of a vector field around a closed loop is equal to the surface integral of the curl of the field over the enclosed region.

2. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the curl of a vector field?

The formula for calculating the curl of a vector field F = (F1, F2, F3) is given by:
curl F = (∂F3/∂y - ∂F2/∂z) i + (∂F1/∂z - ∂F3/∂x) j + (∂F2/∂x - ∂F1/∂y) k

3. How is the direction of curl represented?

The direction of curl is represented by the right-hand rule. If you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the vector field, your thumb will point in the direction of the curl.

4. Can the curl of a vector field be zero?

Yes, the curl of a vector field can be zero. This happens when the vector field is irrotational, meaning it has no rotation at any point. In this case, the line integral of the vector field around any closed loop will be zero.

5. How is curl used in real-world applications?

Curl is used in many real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and even computer graphics. It helps to describe the rotational behavior of vector fields and is essential in understanding the flow of fluids and the behavior of electromagnetic fields.