How to find the strength of an electromagnet

In summary, the conversation is about creating an electromagnet using an iron railroad spike and insulated wire connected to a motorbike battery. The person is unsure about how to measure its strength and is asking for help with finding the appropriate formula. They are also curious about how to determine the strength of a horse-shoe shaped permanent magnet.
Pharrahnox
I have created a simple electromagnet that is just an iron railroad spike with some thick insulated wire wrapped around it. This is connected to a dodgy, old motorbike battery (I'm thinking of being a decent battery...).

I have looked up how you measure the strength, but I'm not sure what is the one I'm looking for. Is it magnetic flux density?

If so, I found the formula for teslas: T = N/Am. How can I apply this to my magnet? I can find the Amperes with a multimeter, but I don't know how to find the Newtons... Also, with the metres part, is that the length of iron wrapped in the coil, or just the length of iron all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, thankyou, the link was very helpful.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I'm hoping there is an easy answer.
I also have a horse-shoe shaped permanent magnet, and I was wondering how I can figure out its strength, to compare with electromagnets that I will build.

1. How can I determine the strength of an electromagnet?

To determine the strength of an electromagnet, you will need to measure its magnetic field. This can be done by using a gaussmeter or a magnetometer. Place the electromagnet in the center of the device and take a reading. The higher the reading, the stronger the electromagnet.

2. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the type of core material used. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger electromagnet.

3. Can I increase the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the amount of current flowing through the coil, or using a stronger core material. However, there is a limit to how much the strength can be increased before the electromagnet reaches its maximum capacity.

4. How does the shape of an electromagnet affect its strength?

The shape of an electromagnet can affect its strength. A longer, thinner electromagnet will have a stronger magnetic field than a shorter, wider one. This is because the magnetic field is concentrated along the length of the coil, so a longer coil will have a stronger field.

5. Can I calculate the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, you can calculate the strength of an electromagnet using the formula B=μ0nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is a constant, n is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil. However, this formula may not be accurate for all types of electromagnets and the actual strength may differ from the calculated value.