Is my background too weak to study superconductivity?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on studying BCS theory for their master thesis but is struggling due to their limited background in physics and math. They are considering taking introductory courses in relevant fields and are also looking for advice on their notes. A recommendation for Ashcroft and Mermin's introductory solid state physics book is given.
kczFI
Hi everyone,

I tried to study BCS theory but got stuck, here are my notes:
528e43688655f.jpg

528e434b965f9.jpg

I have a civil engineering degree but now I am doing a master course in physics. I know most of the undergraduate level physics including modern physics (base on Young and Freedman's book), although I cannot say I am very good at them.

Now I am preparing for my master thesis, I want to get a thorough understanding of BCS but the experience is miserable - not only the physics but also the maths are over my head, is my background really too weak for studying this? Is it necessary for me to take some "introductory" course in relevant field? say quantum mechanics or linear algebra?

Also, I will be really appreciated if anyone could give me some advices for the questions on my notes too, thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your background in differential equations needs boosting, for one. Have you studied ODE and PDE?

All your remarks in the source are good and reasonable questions, and most are answered in introductory solid state physics books like Ashcroft and Mermin, which I would recommend you for study.

1. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials have zero electrical resistance and can conduct electricity with no energy loss. This only occurs at very low temperatures, typically below -200°C.

2. What is considered a "weak" background for studying superconductivity?

A weak background for studying superconductivity would typically refer to a lack of knowledge or experience in the relevant fields of physics, such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics.

3. Can someone with a weak background still study superconductivity?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a weak background to study superconductivity. However, it may require more effort and dedication to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills.

4. What steps can I take to strengthen my background for studying superconductivity?

To strengthen your background for studying superconductivity, you can take courses in relevant subjects, read textbooks and research papers, attend conferences and seminars, and work with experienced researchers in the field.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that are essential for studying superconductivity?

Some essential skills and knowledge for studying superconductivity include a strong understanding of quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and electromagnetism, as well as familiarity with experimental techniques and data analysis methods used in the field.