Trying to use an old router as a wireless bridge

In summary: I told them that I was going to be using the primary router and the secondary as a repeater. They said it should work just fine.After I moved the secondary router, I could still access the internet through the primary router. So it wasn't the gateway that was the problem.In summary, the router may not be compatible with the gateway. You may need to use a different router if you are having trouble connecting to your ISP.
NeoDevin
I recently rearranged my house, and now the most convenient place to set up my computer is unfortunately inconvenient to run a wire to.

Fortunately, I have an old router lying around (Linksys E2500), that I figured I could use as a bridge, and while it wouldn't be as fast as connecting a wire directly, it would be better than nothing, for now.

I set up DD-WRT on the E2500 following the instructions here. This step appears to have been successful, and I went with the "mega" version.

I then followed the instructions here, to try to set up the bridge, but after following all of the instructions there, I am unable to connect to my primary router. (From my ISP, a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway). If I give my computer a static IP address, I can connect to my E2500, but not the primary router. Can't even ping it. Any suggestions what might be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Devin

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok, so I got things working by setting it up as a repeater, following these instructions. Means my desktop is on a different subnet, but that's not a big deal.

Just thought I'd update, in case anyone else comes across this post.

I had a similar problem with my ISP provided router, very similar to your's not but I'm not sure if it was the same DOCSIS 3.0 gateway. Anyway, I couldn't get my router to work as a bridge either but when I tried to do it with two DDWRT routers, it worked. Perhaps its the gateway that's somehow causing an issue?

My understanding is that it should be completely independent of the gateway (I could be wrong on this, though). Unfortunately, I don't have another router handy to test it out.

When you tried with two DD-WRT routers, did you try it with everything set exactly the same as your ISP's gateway?

I first configured the two routers independent of the gateway. IIRC the gateway was using the address 192.168.0.1 for internal addressing. I just had the two routers use 1.1 for the last two octets. I left the gateway as is so that I could continue to use the internet if I needed to search for anything while setting up the routers.

Once i had the two routers working together properly, then i called my ISP and had them disable all the router functionality of the gateway and plugged in the primary into the gateway and moved the secondary elsewhere in the house.

What is a wireless bridge?

A wireless bridge is a device that connects two or more network segments wirelessly. It acts as a bridge between two separate networks, allowing devices on one network to communicate with devices on the other network.

Can I use an old router as a wireless bridge?

Yes, an old router can be used as a wireless bridge by configuring it to act as a wireless bridge instead of a traditional router. This can be done through the router's settings or by installing custom firmware.

What are the benefits of using an old router as a wireless bridge?

Using an old router as a wireless bridge can help extend the range of your wireless network and improve its coverage. It can also help connect devices that are located far from your main router without the need for additional cables.

What are the steps to set up an old router as a wireless bridge?

The steps may vary depending on the make and model of your router, but generally, you will need to access the router's settings, enable the wireless bridge mode, and enter the network details of the main router. It is recommended to consult the router's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.

Are there any limitations to using an old router as a wireless bridge?

Yes, there may be some limitations when using an old router as a wireless bridge. These may include slower speeds, compatibility issues with newer devices, and the need for regular maintenance and updates. It is also important to note that not all routers can be configured as wireless bridges, so it is best to check the router's specifications before attempting to use it as a bridge.