What is the process for determining Fourier coefficients?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving a summation and the confusion surrounding the use of the index variable. It is explained that the equation means A_1 + A_2 + ... + A_n = i and the use of the index variable is not necessary. It is also mentioned that using the same variable twice in one equation is not ideal. The conversation also provides a link for further information on the topic of determining Fourier coefficients.
member 428835
hey pf!

can someone explain to me what to do if presented with an equation like this: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i=i[/tex]
is this identical to stating [itex]A_i=i[/itex]? either way, can you please explain.

thanks!

josh

Mathematics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
hey pf!

can someone explain to me what to do if presented with an equation like this: [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i=i[/tex]
is this identical to stating [itex]A_i=i[/itex]? either way, can you please explain.

thanks!

josh
It doesn't make much sense to me. On the left side, i is an index variable that takes on the values 1, 2, 3, ..., n, so I have no idea what it means on the right side.

Where did you see this? If it's from a textbook, can you post a picture?

Just taking it at face value, it means
##A_1 + A_2 + \cdots + A_n = i##

The ##i## in the sum is a "bound variable" or "dummy variable". You could replace it by anything else (except ##n##) without changing the meaning. The ##i## on the right hand side means ##i##.

But using ##i## twice in one equation like that is horrible, as Mark44 said. It would have been more literate to write something like
$$\sum_{k=1}^n A_k = i$$

The process for determining Fourier coefficients involves breaking down a periodic function into a series of sine and cosine functions. This is done by using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and multiplying it by the sine or cosine function with the appropriate frequency. This process is repeated for each frequency, resulting in a series of coefficients that represent the amplitude of each sine and cosine function.

In regards to the equation \sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i=i, this is not identical to stating A_i=i. The summation symbol (\sum) indicates that the values of A_i are being added together, starting at i=1 and ending at i=n. This equation represents a relationship between the coefficients (A_i) and the index (i). To solve for the coefficients, you would need more information about the function or the values of i and n. I hope this helps clarify the process for determining Fourier coefficients.

What is a summation question?

A summation question is a type of question that requires the addition of multiple values to find the total or sum. It may also be referred to as a total or cumulative question.

What are some examples of summation questions?

Examples of summation questions include "What is the total weight of five apples weighing 2 pounds each?" or "If I add 3 cups of flour, 2 eggs, and 1 cup of milk, what is the total amount of ingredients?"

How do I solve a summation question?

To solve a summation question, you must add together all of the given values. You can do this by hand using simple addition, or you can use a calculator for more complex questions. It is important to pay attention to units of measurement and to follow the correct order of operations.

What are some strategies for solving summation questions?

Some helpful strategies for solving summation questions include breaking the question down into smaller parts, converting units of measurement if necessary, and checking your answer for reasonableness. You can also use visual aids, such as drawing a number line or using counters, to help with the addition process.

Why are summation questions important?

Summation questions are important because they test your ability to add and find totals, which is a fundamental math skill. They are also commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to calculate values and analyze data.