Understanding Roots of Unity: Proving Even Distribution with Math

In summary, the roots of unity are evenly distributed because of De Moivre's theorem where z^n=1 and 1=e^{2\pi k i} with k being any integer, or in the trigonometric form 1=\cos({2\pi k})+i\sin({2\pi k}). Taking the nth root of both sides shows how the roots are evenly spaced around the unit circle.
john951007
I don't understand why roots of unity are evenly distributed? Every time when we calculate roots of unity, we get one result and then plus the difference in degree, but I think this follows the rule of even distribution and I don't understand that, it is easy to be trapped in a reasoning cycle.
how to prove it using mathematics?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
john951007 said:
Every time when we calculate roots of unity, we get one result and then plus the difference in degree

Are you asking if you have a complex root with some argument [itex]\theta[/itex] then why would you also have a corresponding root with argument [itex]-\theta[/itex]?
If that is the case then what you're noticing are complex conjugates, and it's very important to remember that every real polynomial that has a complex root will also have a complex conjugate root.

But if you're actually looking for a reason why the roots of unity are all evenly spaced around the unit circle in the complex plane, then read up about De Moivre's theorem and notice that if

[tex]z^n=1[/tex]

where
[tex]1=e^{2\pi k i}[/tex] with k being any integer, or if you're working with the trigonometric form,
[tex]1=\cos({2\pi k})+i\sin({2\pi k})[/tex]

and now just take the nth root of both sides. It then shouldn't be hard to notice how they're evenly spaced.

What are roots of unity?

Roots of unity are complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, equal 1. They can be represented on the complex plane as points evenly spaced around the unit circle.

Why is it important to understand roots of unity?

Understanding roots of unity is important for many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They have connections to trigonometry, number theory, and group theory, and are used in many fields to solve problems and make calculations.

What does it mean to prove even distribution with math?

Proving even distribution with math means using mathematical techniques and equations to show that a set of numbers or points is evenly spaced or distributed. In the context of roots of unity, this means showing that the points on the unit circle are equally spaced around the circumference.

How can roots of unity be proven to have even distribution?

One method to prove even distribution of roots of unity is through the use of De Moivre's theorem, which states that for any complex number z and positive integer n, (cos z + i sin z)^n = cos(nz) + i sin(nz). By plugging in the values for the roots of unity (1 and n), we can show that the resulting points on the unit circle are evenly spaced.

Are there any real-world applications of understanding roots of unity?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of roots of unity. They are used in signal processing, Fourier analysis, and in the study of vibrations and waves. They also have applications in coding theory, cryptography, and more.