Do you have a device in your home that uses a control loop?

In summary, the conversation discusses various thermostats that control different devices such as the central heater, central air conditioner, refrigerator, and oven. It also touches on how the human body is controlled by signals from sensors and a neural network. The conversation also mentions how the body responds to toxins.
jim1174
What is it controlling and What devices are in the loop

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dunno. Do you?

Sure. My thermostat controls the central heater and the central air conditioner. The thermostat in the refrigerator does the same thing for the refrigerator/freezer. The thermostat on the oven controls the oven heating element.

Chet

My physical body. Signals from many sensors travel over nerve fibres to a computer based on a neural network in my spine and head. That sends signals back down nerves to control muscles. The sensors monitor the position of my body by touch, by proprioceptors in my joints, by gyro-rate sensors in my ears and with a binocular 3D visual processor. It's not all working so well these days.

When the sensors disagree I feel nauseous due to the seemingly irreconcilable situation. This is good since my different sensors are effected differently by the possible toxins in my diet. When I eat something toxic, it confuses the system, I feel nauseous, then vomit, which reduces the poisoning, so my body survives, to injest more poison.

jim1174 said:
What is it controlling and What devices are in the loop

What is the context and background for your question, Jim? Is this for schoolwork?

1. What is a control loop?

A control loop is a system that regulates a process or variable in order to maintain a specific setpoint or goal. It typically consists of a sensor, a controller, and an actuator.

2. How does a control loop work?

A control loop works by continuously measuring the process variable, comparing it to the desired setpoint, and sending signals to the actuator to adjust the process as needed to reach the setpoint.

3. What are some examples of devices that use control loops in a home?

Some examples of devices that use control loops in a home are thermostats, refrigerators, washing machines, and ovens. These devices all have sensors and controllers that regulate temperature, water levels, or other variables.

4. Why are control loops important in household devices?

Control loops are important in household devices because they help maintain consistency and efficiency in their operation. They can also prevent damage or malfunction by keeping the device within safe operating parameters.

5. Can I adjust the control loop settings in my household devices?

In some cases, yes, you may be able to adjust the control loop settings in your household devices. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not make any changes that could potentially cause damage or safety hazards.