What is the Meaning of \Subset Symbol?

• Thread starter Gabriel Maia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, \Subset is a mathematical symbol used to indicate compact containment between sets and can be replaced with the more commonly used subset symbols. It is often seen in functional analysis and can be found defined in various sources such as the provided links.
Gabriel Maia
Hi. I was reading a chapter about Stationary Phase Method and I got stuck with this symbol [itex]\Subset[/itex]. I looked it up on tables os mathematical symbols but could not find its meaning.

Can you help me?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was reading about that from here http://www.math.ku.dk/~gimperlein/dif11/dif11_kim_stationaryphase.pdf but saw no such symbol. What's your source?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~sfholman/dHHU_Chap2.pdf First page, definition 2.1

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems more like a math question to me (I've only seen it in functional analysis), but anyway. In this (and most cases), [itex]\Subset[/itex] tends to be used as an alternative to (the in my opinion rather ugly) [itex]\subset\subset[/itex], and means that one set is compactly contained (or embedded) in the other. For many intents and purposes, you can mentally replace [itex]\Subset[/itex] by the usual subset symbols ([itex]\subset[/itex] or [itex]\subseteq[/itex]).

The symbol \Subset is typically used in mathematics to represent the concept of one set being a subset of another set. In other words, all elements of the first set are also elements of the second set. This symbol is often used in set theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of sets. It is also commonly used in logic and computer science to represent containment or inclusion of one set within another. I hope this helps clarify the meaning of the \Subset symbol for you.

1. What is the meaning of the subset symbol?

The subset symbol, denoted by ⊆, is a mathematical symbol used to represent a relationship between two sets. It means that all elements of one set are also elements of another set, but the two sets may not be equal.

2. How is the subset symbol used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the subset symbol is used to indicate that one set is a subset of another set. This is important in set theory and other areas of mathematics, where it is used to compare and define relationships between sets.

3. Can the subset symbol be used to represent other relationships between sets?

No, the subset symbol specifically represents the relationship of one set being a subset of another set. Other relationships, such as equality or being a superset, have their own symbols in mathematics.

4. What is the difference between the subset symbol and the proper subset symbol?

The proper subset symbol, denoted by ⊂, is a subset symbol with an additional requirement that the two sets must not be equal. This means that all elements in the subset must be present in the larger set, but the larger set may have additional elements that are not in the subset.

5. Are there any other symbols that are commonly used with the subset symbol?

Yes, there are several symbols that are commonly used with the subset symbol, including the subset or equal to symbol (⊆), the superset symbol (⊇), and the not a subset of symbol (⊄). These symbols help to further define and compare relationships between sets.