Horribly Confused With Complex Logarithms

In summary, complex logarithms can be confusing and require careful consideration of which branch to choose. One identity for complex logarithms is ln(z^c)=cln(z)+2πik, with k an integer. However, this identity may not always work the same as the more general case of ln(e^c)=c+2πik. When trying to solve equations involving complex logarithms, it is important to be aware of the potential for multiple values and choose the appropriate branch.
MrBillyShears
Gold Member
I'm getting myself all confused with complex logarithms. I'll try to explain why. One identity with complex logarithms is ln(z^c)=cln(z)+2πik, with k an integer. This is, of course, a more general case of ln(e^c)=c+2πik, but it doesn't always work the same! Let's say we are evaluating ln(e^i). Using the latter identity, it is i+2πik, which is, logically, the correct answer, but using the first identity, you get iln(e)+2πik, which is i(1+2πin)+2πik=i+2πn+2πik...! What! Obviously e^(i+2π) doesn't equal e^i. Another example, ln(1)=ln(e^2πi)=2πi(1+2πin)+2πik=2πi+4π^2n+2 πik

And, I have another problem. I have this when I try to solve an equation 10^z=e^πi, so I take ln of both sides zln(10)=πi+2πik and then z=(πi+2πik)/ln(10), where ln(10) in the denominator is infinite answered and will give solutions that don't work! I'm clearly doing something wrong, so someone please help me!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One identity with complex logarithms is ln(z^c)=cln(z)+2πik, with k an integer.
If this identity allows complex c (check that!), then you have to be more careful which branch of the logarithm you choose on the right side.

where ln(10) in the denominator is infinite answered and will give solutions that don't work!
A multi-valued log is not the exact inverse function of 10^z for reasonable definitions of 10^z. If you use the same freedom to define 10^z as exp(ln(10)z) with a multi-valued ln(10) then they should work.

1. What are logarithms and why are they important in science?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. They are important in science because they help us convert large numbers into more manageable ones, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze data.

2. How do I solve complex logarithmic equations?

The key to solving complex logarithmic equations is to understand the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule and the product rule. Additionally, using a calculator or logarithm tables can help in finding the value of logarithms.

3. What are the common mistakes people make when dealing with complex logarithms?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the logarithmic expression before attempting to solve it. Another mistake is applying the wrong logarithm rule or making errors in calculations.

4. How are logarithms used in real-life applications?

Logarithms are used in various real-life applications such as measuring the intensity of earthquakes, calculating pH levels in chemistry, and analyzing population growth. They are also used in finance and engineering for modeling and predicting data.

5. Can logarithms have complex values?

Yes, logarithms can have complex values when the argument of the logarithm is a complex number. In this case, the result will be a complex number with a real and imaginary part.