Register to reply

Solar Current

by jabers
Tags: current, solar
Share this thread:
jabers
Jun18-14, 04:35 PM
P: 15
Is there a way to determine the amount of current that can be drawn from a solar panel based on the voltage?

Say you have a 100 Watt solar panel. If you measure 24 volts and then later 20 volts can you say anything about the current being produced?

P = IV but if there is no load connected then you are getting the open circuit voltage right?

I want to measure the voltage and say I can power a device that draws say 50 Watts or two devices that draw 30 watts each.I dont mean predict future current just at the instant the voltage is measured.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
berkeman
Jun18-14, 04:59 PM
Mentor
P: 41,104
Quote Quote by jabers View Post
Is there a way to determine the amount of current that can be drawn from a solar panel based on the voltage?

Say you have a 100 Watt solar panel. If you measure 24 volts and then later 20 volts can you say anything about the current being produced?

P = IV but if there is no load connected then you are getting the open circuit voltage right?

I want to measure the voltage and say I can power a device that draws say 50 Watts or two devices that draw 30 watts each.I dont mean predict future current just at the instant the voltage is measured.
Have you read about "maximum power point" tracking for solar panels?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum...point_tracking

Register to reply