How Can Mass and Air Resistance Influence Real-Life Physics Applications?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a science project involving dropping tennis balls with varying amounts of mass from a building and measuring their descent time. The purpose of the project was to investigate the influence of mass on the speed of falling objects. The conversation also touched on the potential real-life applications of this study, such as in satellite and space travel, parachute design, and high-speed transportation.
physicsdude
Hello everyone I have been searching google and other search engines constantly to try to find an answer to my question. Try as I might I could not find anything

I found this forum and figured maybe you guys could help me out :smile:

Ok so without further ado here is the question...

"What are some real-life applications for your science project?"

And for my science project I basically dropped some tennis balls from the top of a building, then filled the tennis ball with 30 pennies and dropped it, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help I receive :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by physicsdude
And for my science project I basically dropped some tennis balls from the top of a building, then filled the tennis ball with 30 pennies and dropped it, etc...
What were you trying to show? What did you measure?

I was just trying to prove if mass had an effect on how fast an object fell

I measured how fast it took the ball to hit the ground

Last edited:
How high do you have to drop a tennis ball to have an acceptable chance of knocking someone out? Or, how many pennies in a tennis ball dropped at a certain height to have a good % of knocking someone out. Then again, it doesn't have to be a tennis ball. I'm rather fond of freefalling pumpkins, You?

Yes I lover falling pumpkins

Thanks for the suggestion man but would that be considered a real life application?

I was just trying to prove if mass had an effect on how fast an object fell

I measured how fast it took the ball to hit the ground
What did you find out?

Dropping objects on people is very much a practical application!

My father taught me something very important when I was but a little kid: When dealing with bloodsucking educators you can't always be creative.

Sometimes it's best to be done with it and just take what you got and shove it at their faces because, quite frankly, they could not care less about what you think. Mmm, I'm probably saying this crap today because I'm bitter as hell that I have to write a goddamn long goddamn essay in history. And I'm too tired to do anything but hallucinate a clown behind me with a big fat sickle.

Well, the study of gravity has tremendous real-life applications. How about satellites? Space travel?

- Warren

Yes I know gravity in general has a lot of applications but I am talking about this very use of gravity that involves mass and air resistance and whatnot for an application.

Originally posted by Doc Al . What did you find out?

I don't see this having anything to do with finding real life applications but I found that, generally, the more mass, the faster something falls.

I don't see this having anything to do with finding real life applications but I found that, generally, the more mass, the faster something falls.
Eek. Systematic error?

- Warren

Yes I know gravity in general has a lot of applications but I am talking about this very use of gravity that involves mass and air resistance and whatnot for an application.

I asked the question to find out what you were investigating. This is your first mention in this thread of air resistance, which helps explain what you saw. (I assume you weren't looking for real life applications of penny-filled tennis balls!) For real life applications of air resistance, what about parachute design and skydiving? Streamline design of cars, motorcycles, even ski helmets? High speed travel (rockets, space shuttle re-entry) through the atmosphere?

Too bad you didn't take the next step in your study (or did you?) by dropping balls of same mass, but different size.

What are some real life applications of science?

Science has numerous real life applications that impact our daily lives. Some examples include medical treatments and cures, technological advancements, improved agricultural practices, and environmental conservation efforts.

How does science benefit society?

Science benefits society in a variety of ways. It helps improve our quality of life through advancements in healthcare, transportation, communication, and more. It also helps us better understand the natural world and address global challenges such as climate change and disease outbreaks.

What are some examples of scientific breakthroughs?

Scientific breakthroughs refer to significant discoveries or advancements that have a major impact on society. Some examples include the discovery of penicillin, the development of vaccines, the invention of the internet, and the exploration of space.

How does science impact the economy?

Science plays a critical role in driving economic growth and development. It leads to the creation of new industries, products, and services, and also improves efficiency and productivity in existing industries. Additionally, scientific research and development provide jobs and stimulate innovation and entrepreneurship.

What are the ethical considerations in science?

Science raises ethical considerations in areas such as animal testing, genetic engineering, and the use of technology. Scientists must consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of their research and ensure that it is conducted responsibly and with respect for human and animal rights.