How can I use this applet to find the wavelength of a sound wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a java applet for a homework assignment involving finding the period, frequency, length of a tube, and wavelength. The speaker is having difficulty understanding how to find the wavelength by dragging a microphone in the applet. They also ask for a hint on finding the distance between a node and an antinode. The conversation ends with the speaker realizing they may have found the solution by counting the number of nodes and antinodes and multiplying it by 4 to get the wavelength.
jakeowens
http://137.229.52.100/~physics/p103/applets/sos_prelab/sos_prelab_pt1.html

For my homework, i have to use this java applet and answer the 5 questions at the bottom. Now, i had no problem finding the period, frequency, or length of the tube in terms of the wavelength. But I'm really having troulbe finding the wavelength

This applet and how it is worded really confuses me. How am i supposed to find the wavelength of the wave my dragging the little microphone around inside the tube? it really doesn't make sense to me.

how can i find the distance between an node and an antinode by dragging the little microphone around?

can anyone give me a hint? Once i get the wavelength i can find the velocity, but if i don't get the wavelength i miss both problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wait i may have got it, is the distance between a node an and anti node simpy 1/26?.
Since there's a node at the open end, and an antinode at the closed end, and the tube is 1 m long, i should be able to count the number of nodes and antinodes and divide one by that answer to get the distance between a node and an adjacent antinode correct?
and then multiplying the distance between a node and an antinode by 4 would give me the wavelength?

Last edited:

I can understand your confusion with this applet and how it is worded. To find the wavelength of a sound wave, you need to measure the distance between two consecutive nodes or antinodes. The nodes are the points where the wave does not move and the antinodes are the points where the wave has the maximum displacement. By dragging the microphone around, you can measure the distance between these points and use that to calculate the wavelength.

To find the distance between a node and an antinode, you can drag the microphone to a node and then move it until you reach the next antinode. The distance between these points will be half of the wavelength. You can then use this value to calculate the full wavelength.

Additionally, you can also try adjusting the frequency of the sound wave and see how it affects the distance between the nodes and antinodes. This can help you to better understand the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and velocity.

I hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of how to use this applet to find the wavelength of a sound wave. Keep in mind that as a scientist, it is important to think critically and experiment with different methods to solve problems. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is sound and how does it travel?

Sound is a form of energy that is produced by vibrations. These vibrations create sound waves, which travel through a medium such as air, water, or solids.

2. What is the relationship between sound and wavelength?

Sound waves have a specific wavelength, which is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. The wavelength of sound determines its pitch, with shorter wavelengths producing higher pitched sounds and longer wavelengths producing lower pitched sounds.

3. How is sound measured?

Sound is measured in units called decibels (dB). This scale is logarithmic, which means that a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in sound intensity.

4. How does the frequency of sound waves affect our perception of sound?

The frequency of sound waves is related to the pitch of the sound. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch. Humans can typically hear frequencies between 20 and 20,000 hertz (Hz). Sounds below 20 Hz are called infrasound, and sounds above 20,000 Hz are called ultrasound.

5. Can sound waves be reflected and refracted?

Yes, sound waves can be reflected and refracted, just like light waves. When sound waves encounter a barrier, they can bounce off of it and change direction, which is known as reflection. Refraction occurs when sound waves pass through a medium with a different density, causing them to change direction and speed.