Proof using the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove two statements using only the axioms of addition and multiplication. It is suggested to first prove that -x = (-1)(x), and then use this to prove (-x)y = -(xy) and (-x)(-y) = (xy). The importance of justifying each step using the axioms is emphasized. The conversation also includes a question about proving that if 0 \leq x \leq \varepsilon for all \varepsilon > 0, then x = 0, and it is suggested to use proof by contradiction to solve it.
rad0786
So does everybody know the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication?
They are too long to type, but they are listed:
A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and the distributive law, DL.

anyways, I want to prove:

1. (-x)y = -(xy) and 2. (-x)(-y) = (xy) using ONLY the axioms of additon and multiplication.

Can somebody please help start me off, I've spent an hour on this and am getting now where :grumpy:

1. seems quite elementry to me.
(-x)y = (-1)(x)y by M4
(-x)y = (-1)(xy) by M3
(-x)y = -(xy) by M3 again

how does that sound?
=

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. I didn't know that (-x)=(-1)x was an axiom.
You should prove that one, and all your troubles vanish.

Well, (-x)y + xy = (-x + x)y = ...

I don't know what you call M1,2,3,4, etc but here's how I'd do it:

1° Prove that -x = (-1)(x)

It follows that

2° (-x)y = [(-1)(x)]y = (-1)[(x)(y)] (associativity) = -(xy) (by 1° again)

edit: I like honestrose's way better, but it's good to prove once and for all that -x = (-1)(x).

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
I don't know what you call M1,2,3,4, etc but here's how I'd do it:

1° Prove that -x = (-1)(x)

It follows that

2° (-x)y = [(-1)(x)]y = (-1)[(x)(y)] (associativity) = -(xy) (by 1° again)

edit: I like honestrose's way better, but it's good to prove once and for all that -x = (-1)(x).

Prove that -x = (-1)(x) : That is a theorm in the textbook, and the proof is their with it.

x + (-1)x = x + x(-1)by M2
=x1 + x(-1) by M4
x[1+(-1)]
x0

about honestrose's way,(-x)y + xy = (-x + x)y = ... (0)y = 0. Is this what he was trying to show as the proof?

Well, (-x)y + xy = (-x + x)y = ...

(-x)y + xy = (-x + x)y (distributivity) = (0)y = 0. Hence (-x)y is the additive inverse of xy, which we note -(xy).

rad0786 said:
about honestrose's way,(-x)y + xy = (-x + x)y = ... (0)y = 0. Is this what he was trying to show as the proof?
Right, and if a + b = 0, then b = ?

I'm a she, by the bye. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Right, and if a + b = 0, then b = ?

I'm a she, by the bye. :smile:

if a + b = 0 then b = -a

So if (xy) + (-x)y = 0, then (-x)y = ?

What do you have for (2)?

honestrosewater said:
So if (xy) + (-x)y = 0, then (-x)y = ?

What do you have for (2)?

if (xy) + (-x)y = 0, then (-x)y = -(xy) as required.

For (2), i did it a similar way

2. Prove that (-x)(-y) = (xy) using only the axioms...

(-x)(-y) - (xy) = (-x + x)(-y) = 0(-y) = 0
thus, (-x)(-y) - (xy) = 0
therefore, (-x)(-y) = (xy)

how does that sound!? i have a feeling its good!

Last edited:
The general idea is good, and there is nothing you've written that is false.

But it's not detailed enough. You have to justify each and everyone of your = signs by a statement such as "by definition of ..." or "by axiom ..." or "according to theorem ..." or "by the result found in (1)". That's the whole point of proving using the axioms.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
The general idea is good, and there is nothing you've written that is false.

But it's not detailed enough. You have to justify each and everyone of your = signs by a statement such as "by definition of ..." or "by axiom ..." or "according to theorem ..." or "by the result found in (1)". That's the whole point of proving using the axioms.

that you quasar987, In my answer, I would write "by M1, by M2, by A4... etc" (refering to the specific axiom.)

I came across another Proving question in the book, (in the same section as the axiom one.)

Prove: If [itex]x \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]x \leq \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex] \varepsilon > 0[/itex] then [itex]x = 0[/itex]

Firstly, I decided to write it up more mathematically.

Prove: If [itex]0 \leq x \leq \varepsilon[/itex] for all [itex] \varepsilon > 0[/itex] then [itex]x = 0[/itex]

Now, this statement dosn't even look true to me. Suppose x = 9 and [itex]\varepsilon = 11[/itex], then dosn't the statement hold? But since it says Prove, ill just accept the fact that its true.

So is it possible to prove this using ONLY the axioms? i took the contrapositive and that didnt help :grumpy:

rad0786 said:
Now, this statement dosn't even look true to me. Suppose x = 9 and [itex]\varepsilon = 11[/itex], then dosn't the statement hold?

The statement is that if [itex]0\leq x \leq \epsilon[/itex] FOR ALL [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex]. So if you say x =9, while it is true for e = 11, it is not true for e = 8, hence it is not true for all e>0.

rad0786 said:
So is it possible to prove this using ONLY the axioms? i took the contrapositive and that didnt help :grumpy:
Try proof by contradiction. Suppose x is not zero. Can you find a number epsilon smaller than x?

1. What are the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication?

The Axioms of Addition and Multiplication are a set of fundamental rules that govern the operations of addition and multiplication in mathematics. They are used as the basis for proving mathematical theorems and are considered to be self-evident truths.

2. How are the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication used in proofs?

The Axioms of Addition and Multiplication are used in proofs to provide a solid foundation for mathematical reasoning. They allow us to logically and rigorously prove mathematical statements using a set of universally accepted rules.

3. Can you give an example of a proof using the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication?

Sure! One example is the proof of the associative property of addition, which states that for any three numbers a, b, and c, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c). This can be proven using the Axioms of Addition, specifically the associative axiom, which states that the order in which numbers are added does not affect the result.

4. Are the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication the same as the properties of addition and multiplication?

No, they are not the same. The Axioms of Addition and Multiplication are the fundamental rules that define the operations of addition and multiplication, while the properties of addition and multiplication are derived from these axioms and describe the behavior of these operations.

5. Why are the Axioms of Addition and Multiplication important in mathematics?

The Axioms of Addition and Multiplication provide a solid foundation for mathematical reasoning and proofs. They allow us to build upon these principles and develop more complex mathematical concepts and theorems. Without these axioms, it would be difficult to prove the validity of mathematical statements and advance our understanding of mathematics.