Parallel plate capacitor electric charge

In summary, we have an air-filled parallel plate capacitor with plate area A and gap width d, a plate charge of Q, and a total energy stored in the capacitor given by U= Q^2 *d /2 E_o A. With a dielectric slab inserted with a constant k, and given E = 70 V, k = 3.8, d = 0.8 mm, and A = 25.6 cm^2, we need to find the electric charge on the plate in units of C. To find this, we can use the equation relating Q, C, and V, as well as the equation relating C, epsilon, A, and d. By converting units and using the formula for
Punchlinegirl
Consider an air filled parallel plate capacitor with plate area A and gap width d. The plate charge is Q. The total energy stored in the capacitor is given by U= Q^2 *d /2 E_o A. With the battery connected, fill the gap by a slab with the dielectric constant k. Given : E= 70 V, k= 3.8, d=0.8 mm and A = 25.6 cm^2, E_o = 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2, find the electric charge on the plate. Answer in units of C.
I really have no idea how to do this. I know that I have everything needed to find the total energy, but I don't really know how to get the charge from that. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation relating Q, C and V? What is the equation relating C, epsilon, A and d?

I figured it out... thank you.

horribly similar is: given only area of each plate, a distance between the plates, and instead, k = 1 (due to a vacuum as opposed to a slab), and the voltage, how would one find surface charge density (in Coulombs/meter^2)? I think I'm only confusing myself by changing various units around (such as volts to Joules/Coulomb)

So the work I've done so far includes:
I've noticed this should be relatively easy; the formula for density is simply just magnitude of the electric field multiplied with the surface area.
First I converted surface area from cm^2 to meters^2, I'm simply stuck on changing the charge difference from volts to coulombs :(

Last edited:

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electrical component that is used to store electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates that are separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor store electric charge?

When a voltage is applied to the two plates of a parallel plate capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This separation of charges creates an electric field between the plates, which can store energy in the form of electric charge.

3. What factors affect the amount of charge a parallel plate capacitor can store?

The amount of charge a parallel plate capacitor can store is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. A larger distance, larger surface area, and higher dielectric constant will result in a higher charge storage capacity.

4. How is the electric charge on a parallel plate capacitor measured?

The electric charge on a parallel plate capacitor can be measured using a tool called a capacitance meter. This device measures the capacitance, or ability to store charge, of the capacitor and can then calculate the amount of charge stored on the plates.

5. How is a parallel plate capacitor used in practical applications?

Parallel plate capacitors are used in a variety of electronic devices, including radios, televisions, and computers. They are also commonly used in power supply circuits and in energy storage systems such as batteries and supercapacitors.