How Do You Calculate the Time Constant of an RL Circuit?

In summary, to find the time constant for a circuit that reaches 85% of its final value 1.86 seconds after the switch is closed, you can use the formula I(t) = (epsilon_0/R)(1 - e^(-t/tau)), where tau = R/L. By taking the natural log of 0.15 (15%), you can solve for the number of time constants needed to reach 85% completion. Divide the given time (1.86 seconds) by the number of time constants and you will get a value close to 1. This can also be represented as 1 - (e^(-1)), which follows the pattern of 1 - (e^(-tc#
pmontone
Can anyone tell me what formula I would use to find the time constant for a circuit that reaches 85% of its final value 1.86 seconds after the switch is closed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that this circuit is in series with a constant voltage source, and initially there is no current when the switch is first thrown, for which case we have the first order ode arrising from taking Kirchhoff's voltage law around the loop.
[tex] \dot{I}+\frac{R}{L} I-\frac{\varepsilon_{0}}{R} = 0 , I(0) = 0 \cr
I(t) = \frac{\varepsilon_{0}}{R} \left( 1- \exp(-t \tau) \right) , \tau = R/L [/tex]
where tau is the time constant you seek. Now use the information given, by taking the ratio @ t=0, and solve. Hope this helps, sincerely, x.

85% completion means 15% incomplete.

take the natural log of .15 (the decimal form of 15%). This is -1.897. toss out the negative as this is what you get when working with logs of numbers less than 1. what you are left with is 1.897. This is the number of time constants needed to reach 85% of completion.

divide you 1.86 seconds by 1.897, and you get about 0.980 seconds per time constant.

This is awfully close to 1, which might be the round answer you are expected to get. use this formula to plot 1,2,3,4,and 5 time constants, and you'll begin to see the pattern:

1-e-tc#.

that is: one minus (eulers number raised to the negative tc#). You'll get approximately .63, .87, .95, .98 and .99. But do it for yourself, with and without the "one minus"

1. What is an RL circuit time constant?

An RL circuit time constant is a measure of the rate at which current flows through a circuit. It is defined as the time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value in an RL circuit, which contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L).

2. How is the time constant calculated in an RL circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RL circuit is calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). This can be expressed as: τ = L / R.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in an RL circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the current reaches its steady state value in an RL circuit. A shorter time constant indicates a faster rate of current flow, while a longer time constant indicates a slower rate of current flow.

4. How does changing the inductance or resistance affect the time constant in an RL circuit?

A higher inductance or resistance will result in a longer time constant, meaning the current will take longer to reach its steady state value. Conversely, a lower inductance or resistance will result in a shorter time constant and a faster rate of current flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of RL circuits and their time constant?

RL circuits and their time constant are commonly used in electronic devices such as speakers, motors, and generators. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in regulating the speed of electric trains and elevators.