NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter successfully performs orbital insertion

In summary, the MRO has successfully re-acquired signal after going around the far side of Mars and is currently being checked for correct orbit. It was supposed to go on the far side and the fact that communication was re-established on time means that the insertion was a success. However, there have been past failures during orbital insertion. It will take about 8 months for the data to be available due to the cautious approach of aerobraking and not wanting to deploy the scopes until that phase is complete. The MRO will begin its primary science phase in November.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This just in:

They just re-acquired signal with the MRO after it went around the far side of Mars.

They are waiting to ensure it is in the correct orbit right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it soppsed to go on the farside of mars?Wouldn't they knew it lost contact?

scott1 said:

Yes,

It had to go around to the far side for the orbital insertion. The fact that they re-established communications on time meant that the insertion was a success.

They have lost 2 of the 4 missions they've sent there in the last 15 years during orbital insertion.

Two way communications successful. MRO is in orbit!

This is great news!

GREAT! And the success rate is going up again. :biggrin:

scott1 said:
Yes, it is supposed to go behind Mars since it is traversing the ecliptic. It pretty much went according to plan. They just have to sit tight and hope it functioned as planned - and it did.

On Cue, Spacecraft Glides into Orbit Around Mars
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5257061

All Things Considered, March 10, 2006 · Mission controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., burst into applause as the Reconnaissance Orbiter arrives safely to Mars. Only about two-thirds of NASA's Mars missions have survived. The spacecraft is supposed to gather more information about Mars than all previous missions combined.

Great news. I love the work people at NASA do.

I heard that we have to wait until November before there is any real data sent back. Why so long? Does that time frame include NASA going thru it and scrubbing it before public release?

FredGarvin said:
I heard that we have to wait until November before there is any real data sent back. Why so long? Does that time frame include NASA going thru it and scrubbing it before public release?
That's not that long compared to how long it took gailo,voyger and some probes to there planets.I think NASA trying to be carful they probally don't want to go on tv and say "The $2billon prob crashed" there probally just to craful.

scott1 said:
That's not that long compared to how long it took gailo,voyger and some probes to there planets.I think NASA trying to be carful they probally don't want to go on tv and say "The $2billon prob crashed" there probally just to craful.
I figured it would be something like that, but 8 months? That's awfully cautious.

FredGarvin said:
I figured it would be something like that, but 8 months? That's awfully cautious.
You do pay taxes right?

They have to aerobrake it into the final orbit. I'm just guessing, but they probably don't want to deploy the scopes until they're done with that phase.

MRO Primary Science Phase- Begins in Nov.

The data from MRO will not be available until November because Mars will be in opposition and NASA will lose/have limited communication with the spacecraft before Nov.

" Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter successfully performs orbital insertion"

I think I need a shower now!

What is the NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter?

The NASA Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) is a satellite that was launched in 2005 with the purpose of studying Mars from orbit. It carries a variety of instruments to gather data and images of the Martian surface and atmosphere.

What is orbital insertion?

Orbital insertion is the process of maneuvering a spacecraft into orbit around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It requires precise calculations and engine burns to slow down the spacecraft and place it in the correct orbit.

Why is the orbital insertion of the MRO significant?

The MRO's orbital insertion is significant because it marks the beginning of the spacecraft's primary mission to study Mars. It also requires a complex and risky maneuver to successfully enter into orbit around the planet.

How long did it take for the MRO to perform orbital insertion?

The MRO's orbital insertion took approximately 27 minutes, from the time the spacecraft began firing its engines until it was confirmed to be in its desired orbit around Mars.

What are the main goals of the MRO's mission?

The main goals of the MRO's mission are to study the Martian surface and atmosphere in detail, search for evidence of past or present water, and provide support for future human exploration of Mars. It will also serve as a communication relay for other Mars missions.