Direction of static friction while rolling

In summary, the direction of friction in different scenarios is determined by the principle of preventing slipping between surfaces. In the case of a wheel rolling without slipping, the direction of friction is the same as the direction of acceleration of the center of mass. However, in the case of a ball sliding down a ramp, the direction of friction is opposite to the direction of acceleration. This is because gravity provides the accelerating force while friction reduces the net force and prevents slipping. The friction force also produces a torque, affecting the rotation of the object. In cases where there is no slipping, only static friction is involved. When sliding is involved, kinetic friction can be calculated using μN.
arunbg
In my physics textbook (Resnick, Halliday, Walker) , it is given that the direction of force of static friction acting on a wheel undergoing pure rolling without sliding on the ground and whose centre of mass is accelerating uniformly, is the same as the direction of acceleration of COM.

However when a ball sliding down a ramp is considered, the direction is given opposite to the acceleration( up the ramp) , the reason given that the wheel has a tendency to slide down the ramp and friction must oppose this tendency.

I find that the first scenario is only a generalisation of the second with a=g . But then why is the direction of friction different?
Or is one of these assertions wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both assertions are correct. In the first case, the friction is the cause of the (translational) acceleration. In the second case, gravity provides the accelerating force while the friction reduces the net force (as it also provides a torque to keep the ball rolling).

Note that in both cases the friction opposes slipping between the surfaces. In the first case, the wheel surface would slip towards the rear without sufficient friction towards the front opposing it. In the second case, the ball surface would slip forwards if it didn't rotate, thus the friction must act towards the rear to oppose it.

Hmm, So Doc you mean that in the first case friction is actually causing the translational motion and moves the COM and rotation of the wheel is basically due to the external force ? Could you please clarify case 1 a bit more?

THanks for the reply.

I assume that the rolling wheel is not being pulled by any other external force. In order for it to accelerate, there must be an external force acting on it; that external force is the friction of the road on the wheel.

Picture a car trying to accelerate. If there were no friction, you could press on the gas pedal all day and still not change the car's velocity. It requires an external force to accelerate.

Ok now I get it, so you mean to say that the rotation of the wheel is internal while friction translates.This wasn't given in the book clearly and so I got confused.

Thanks a lot Doc

arunbg said:
Ok now I get it, so you mean to say that the rotation of the wheel is internal while friction translates.
I'm not saying that at all. Friction exerts a force on the wheel; that force also produces a torque.

Ok so friction translates forward and slows down rotation due to internal force ,right?

That sounds better.

But the main thing to take away from this discussion is that friction always acts to prevent slipping between surfaces. So if you can figure out which way the surfaces are trying to slip, you can easily determine the direction of the friction force.

thanx doc Al

doc al i still can't understand why the direction of friction on a straight road is with the direction of motion of the principle of preventing sliding on a straight road hard

elabed haidar said:
doc al i still can't understand why the direction of friction on a straight road is with the direction of motion of the principle of preventing sliding on a straight road hard
State the exact situation you are trying to understand. Is there acceleration?

okay forget what i said my question is
about the rolling i need to know the difference between sliding and non sliding if an inclined plane and a horizontal plane aand how should i act at each problem?

my second question is in an inclined plane what is the relation between the coefficent of static friction and kinetic friction i heard that if the coefficent i get is less than the coefficent of the static coefficent given it is called kinetic how is that

elabed haidar said:
okay forget what i said my question is
about the rolling i need to know the difference between sliding and non sliding if an inclined plane and a horizontal plane aand how should i act at each problem?
Assuming something--a cylinder say--is rolling without slipping, then the only friction involved will be static friction.

If the cylinder is just rolling down a hill (nothing pulling it but gravity), then the friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion. If it's rolling along a horizontal surface, then the speed is constant and there's no friction required. (At least in the ideal case.)

To figure out the amount of static friction in the first case, you'd need to apply Newton's laws.

When sliding is involved, then you have kinetic friction. Kinetic friction can be calculated using μN.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other but are not moving relative to each other. It is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction of an applied force, preventing motion between the two surfaces.

2. How does static friction work while rolling?

While rolling, static friction acts in the direction opposite to the direction of motion. This means that if an object is rolling to the right, the force of static friction will act to the left, slowing down the object's motion. This is because the point of contact between the rolling object and the surface is constantly changing, causing the direction of the force to also change.

3. What factors affect the direction of static friction while rolling?

The direction of static friction while rolling is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the weight and shape of the rolling object, and the force applied to the object. In general, a rougher surface and heavier object will result in a larger force of static friction, while a smoother surface and lighter object will result in a smaller force of static friction.

4. Can the direction of static friction change while rolling?

Yes, the direction of static friction can change while rolling. This is because the point of contact between the rolling object and the surface is constantly changing, causing the direction of the force to also change. Additionally, if the force applied to the object changes, the direction of static friction will also change to oppose the new direction of motion.

5. How does the direction of static friction affect the motion of a rolling object?

The direction of static friction plays a crucial role in determining the motion of a rolling object. If the force of static friction is greater than the force propelling the object forward, the object will slow down or even come to a stop. If the force of static friction is less than the force propelling the object forward, the object will continue to roll at a constant speed. If there is no force of static friction, the object will continue to roll with no change in speed or direction.